• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

web development technologies question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,
I have been assigned the task to develop a web 'solution' that must meet with the following requirements
- must have a database
- must have user authentification
- must have a admin section to update client information
- must be fast, reliable, extensible

The background of this project is :
My company sells an existing application which operates on a license period which halts the application after three months. The application displays a key string to the user. The user call a call centre and reads the key and based on the clients account status the call centre reads an activation key to the user which he inputs into the application to re-activate it for the relevant period.
It is forseen that the client base will grow significantly and a need is felt for a means to remove the call centre and allow the user to enter and obtain the keys directly on the web.
Unfortunateley I have never done this before and do not know which technologies would be relevant to the task in terms of databases, development language (JSP) or web-servers etc??? would jsp work for this problem?
Any suggestions, hints, links or advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Chris

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It certainly would. As far as best choice, you'll probably have to go with what you know...if you know java, JSP is the answer. I'm currently using Tomcat (JSP container available @ jakarta.apache.org/tomcat), which is doubling as my web server. I'm also using an Oracle database server, though I started out with mySQL. My application serves about 200 employees and so far, it is running smoothly. JSP can definitely handle all your needs, you just have to take some time to pick it up (the javaranch is indispensable!)
Good Luck,
WS

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And if this is your first JSP project, do yourself a favor and look up the Model 2 architectural pattern and start off on the right foot.
Given your requirements, especially the "reliable, extensible" part, the combination of Servlet-controllers and JSP-views is a natural for your project.
hth,
bear

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do yourself the biggest professional favor in the world and get Rod Johnson's expert one-on-one J2EE Design and Development
[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Phil Chuang ]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic