• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JSP/J2EE Application Samples for novice

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ranchers,
finally scored a job in J2EE after getting the SCWCD(a two year hunt). Have to build a company website that holds a bit of dynamic content that will have to be updatable and although I don�t have all the details yet, as far as I can see the most complicated thing is having some protected pages and a CV registration page where users can edit their Cv at a later stage. Unfortunately the economy is not too good yet so I have to do this without any supervision at all, I am the only java programmer there. As this will be my first real J2ee project I am anxious to do this correctly, not in a haphazard way or develope bad habits. I mean I can think off the top of my head exactly how it could be done but as I have little or no experience I can�t be sure if it is the correct or standard way of doing it. Can anyone recommend any websites that have good examples of applications that do the follwing:
display content stored in a db;
facilitate editing of this content from the db;
use session beans for simple processes such as verifying details;
This is not to copy the code but just to see best practices in practice.
Also can any one recommend any tools that I should be using that would be a valuable asset on the CV later on?
Any help would be really great
Williery

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Will, congrats on the new position.
I don't have any samples to send you to, but do have this one bit of advice: do yourself a favor and train yourself to use the best-practice "Model 2" architecture pattern for your web applications. I'm sure you can find lots of information on-line about this pattern which uses a combination of Servlets (for control) and JSP (for display).
I'm sure others will have helpful pointers as well.
bear

Will Reilly
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cheers Bear
did a bit of reading up on this last night and its exactly what I needed to know.
Williery
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic