• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

is this possible...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a page where I'm pulling counts from a database for 6 different application types for each month of a particular year. the user selects a year from a drop-down box on page index.jsp. the page that shows the full table of all app types for each month of the year is index1. index1 doesnt come up for the user until all queries on the database are made, so it takes a bit of time...(i'm going thru a nested for loop, 12 times for each app type so 12*6 = 72 queries)i'm wondering if it's possible for me to go ahead and show the user the empty table on index1, and have it "populate" with the data as each query is completed.....basically, I guess I'm asking how I can show my static html stuff before the dynamic stuff.
sorry for the wordy question.

[ June 14, 2004: Message edited by: Bill Brasskey ]
[ June 14, 2004: Message edited by: Bill Brasskey ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
you might want to look into portlets. I've read a little about them and it seems like an interesting concept.
portlets

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It sounds more like the problem is that all those database requests are taking a long time. Structure your queries so that you don't need so many of them, and, if possible, try to cache any results that you know aren't going to change...
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic