• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

partial loading of jsp

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello. If you have a minute, I've been experiencing partial loading of jsp's for some users. Usually after a couple of refreshes, the page will display fully. It occurs a majority of the time when I am using jsp:forward from a controller...the target jsp partially loads. But it has happened when accessing the target url directly. There is an 18 row, two column table in the target jsp, 18 <select> fields. and the form has lots of js validation. Does anybody know what could be contributing to this...I suspected the table but this doesn't seem too massive or anything. Thank you very much...
[ October 22, 2004: Message edited by: Tom Griffith ]

Tom Griffith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh, one other thing, when I view the document source on the browser, there is a tremendous amount of whitespace between tags. I a compiling the jsp in Notepadd App from Java Web Start. When I copy the text to a regular notepad, it throws in all these white spaces. This is smelling like the problem, but I can't figure out why Notepad App is throwing all these hard returns or whatever they are in the text...

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Does the page ever finish loading if you are patient? And which browser?

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

there is a tremendous amount of whitespace between tags

This is normal and is unlikely to be the source of any problems.

Tom Griffith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi. No, it just quits. For some users, it goes ahead and displays whatever it has until the browser decides to quit. For instance, the last thing displaying on the target page one time was one of the keyword lists with answers YES, NO, and </SELEC...

Oh, I'm sorry, the problems were witnessed on IE 5, 6 and Mozilla FireFox.

Tom Griffith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh yeah, hitting Refresh somewhere between 2 and 6 times usually can get the target jsp to display completely...and it loads instantly at that point. This has happened with remote users at three different locales...not that this matters...but it's not a local/intranet problem...

Tom Griffith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, I've been kicking this around and I am beginning to wonder if this might be a memory/resource issue. I have been temporarily hosting this on my personal laptop as opposed to a dedicated server. It's just strange that it partially loads and quits as opposed to just giving a 404 error...ie. both the browser and the jsp have a handle on the data stream. I wonder if offloading some of the javascript until I can get this on a dedicated server (I have a Linux coming on-line shortly) would help the form load. Thanks again...
[ October 25, 2004: Message edited by: Tom Griffith ]

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Without further data I'm at a loss to account for it. Since it's a cross-browser problem my first suspicion that it was IE being a poot (common) is invalid.

What I'd guess is the next most-likely scenario is that, after the initial buffer flush, an exception is being thrown preventing any further output. The exception should be in the logs somewhere if this is what is happening. If not, I guess it's time for heavy-duty debugging to see where the code is going.

Tom Griffith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi. yeah, it's just weird that even given a thrown exception, refreshing between 2-6 times would bring it up in it's entirity. I'll mess with it...

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Given the spotty nature of the problem, I'd investigate if there's any way you could have introduced threading issues or other types of resource race conditions that could result in an intermittent exception.
[ October 26, 2004: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]

Tom Griffith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi. This problem is rearing it's head again. I have an entirely new target jsp. This partial loading/rendering happens for most users if I use either an html link or jsp:forward. It seems to stop rendering at the same point on the target jsp for all users. For instance, I have a table with 15 rows, the users get 7 rows. The weird thing is that either hitting the back button and accessing the target jsp via the link again or a refresh on the target jsp brings the entire page up instantly and in it's entirity.

However, when using the back button and re-accessing the link consecutive times, the jsp will partially load every other time and fully load every other time.

Also, if I give a user a direct link to the target jsp sans any kinda jsp:forward or url link, it loads completely.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it. It's just weird that it quits rendering for these users at the same exact point...and it's always through a link or jsp:forward (entering the target jsp url directly in the browser doesn't give them this problem, the best I can tell)...and refreshes will bring the entire jsp up.

Thanks a lot...

Oh yeah, the target jsp is being passed an ArrayList from a bean and the arraylist values are used to produce data output on the target jsp.
[ November 04, 2004: Message edited by: Tom Griffith ]

To do a great right, do a little wrong - shakepeare. twisted little ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic