• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

what to do

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear friends

I need some suggestions from you, I gave my written test and technical Interview at infosys and got selected there and gave my HR interview 2 weeks back they told me they will confirm the result in 2 weeks time its already been 4 weeks and I got no reply from them even tough I have send many mails to infy but they ddnt replied now I dont know what to do, should I consder my applcaton rejected or they will send any rejection letter, there might be some people in this forum who work for infy they can help me in this regard.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you should contact them by telephone.Possibly they are waiting for some project.HR interview is generally considered a formality here(I mean in India!!).Less likely to be rejected unless you answer all questions with honesty.

Babloo Srivastava
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have tried to call infosys but there is a long change of extensions and in the end you are lost, and other thng I have honestly stated evrything I mean I didnt faked anything wll this reduce my chance.

Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think there is any problem.Have patience.'Big' people are supposed to take long time .

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I attended an interview in one biggie last July. I got the appointment letter in September, asking me to join with in 4 weeks.
But by that time, I was in US for a 3 months trip and so couldn't make it.

Babloo Srivastava
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There was one problem after my HR they asked abt my education I completed my PG diploma from not a recognised institute which they asked to me(whether it was recognsed or not? I sad no) and completed my M.Sc computer science course through dstance education only but with good percentage, I though they will not consider my applcation now.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If I were you, I would move on and keep myself busy with something else (current job, job hunting etc). If they get back to you, all is well, and if they didn�t its their loss.

Good luck!

Babloo Srivastava
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Friends

Thanks a lot for your advice, I confirmed from one of the infosys employee he told me that if you have not received the offer letter from infy within 2 weeks after your interview it means you are not selected they r not gonna send u rejection letter, morally I am very down as because I was rehjected in the last round and that too for a silly reason.

Ranch Hand
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Babloo Srivastava:
Dear Friends

Thanks a lot for your advice, I confirmed from one of the infosys employee he told me that if you have not received the offer letter from infy within 2 weeks after your interview it means you are not selected they r not gonna send u rejection letter, morally I am very down as because I was rehjected in the last round and that too for a silly reason.

It happens Man!!! Bigger compnies have very rigid policies most often.
BTW, what is that silly reason?

- Manish

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kinda poor practice to not send rejection letters...
But sadly very common. I've just come to expect to not receive anything and send a thank you back whenever I do even if it's a rejection. At least tells them you appreciate whatever useless feedback they provide and not letting you wait and wait...

Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Companies reject for any foolish reason.One my friend cleared all rounds.In medical checkup,he stated that he has undergone a brain surgery when he was a child.Inetrviewers asked him whether he will be able to sustain a mental stress!!He was rejected bcos of this reason.Company ofcourse did not give any reason for rejection.

Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ram Abdullah D'Souza:
Companies reject for any foolish reason.One my friend cleared all rounds.In medical checkup,he stated that he has undergone a brain surgery when he was a child.Inetrviewers asked him whether he will be able to sustain a mental stress!!He was rejected bcos of this reason.Company ofcourse did not give any reason for rejection.

Very weird indeed!!!
But I have seen pretty often in bigger companies that very rigid and stubborn wit their policies and usually they defy "let common sense prevail".

- Manish

p.s. On the second thought, it's good that your fiend didn't join the company or tomorrow they may fire him coz he's got a headache or maybe coz he gets an acne !!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One of my friend recently resigned from infosys she told me that she was very frustrated at infosys there was no particular pattern of work they just put you in any platform/technology whether you are comfortable or not and most of the time they were doing work other than s/w development.

Most of the IT biggies are ranked as top employers even though employee dissatisfaction and attrition rate is very high in these companies this is all because of media hype. I think smaller firms provide better working conditions ion comparison to these big companies.

Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Sameer Jamal:
One of my friend recently resigned from infosys she told me that she was very frustrated at infosys there was no particular pattern of work they just put you in any platform/technology whether you are comfortable or not and most of the time they were doing work other than s/w development.

Most of the IT biggies are ranked as top employers even though employee dissatisfaction and attrition rate is very high in these companies this is all because of media hype. I think smaller firms provide better working conditions ion comparison to these big companies.

That's absolutely right!!!
Remember I told you this when you had asked about infy some time back. So if you're person who's get frustrated if you don't like what you do between 9AM to 5PM of your job; make sure you understand what you're going to do in a big organization. Otherwise the brand equity of the company won't make any difference. Though I admit it helps when you're "out". Iam haven't you seen adulation you get when you say - you work at infy? Practically speaking, other things such as getting housing loans, credit cards (that's easy these days) also gets easier with bigger companies.

But if you're like me, the most imp question would be "what do I do there?"

- Manish

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

[I think smaller firms provide better working conditions ion comparison to these big companies.

I guess you have joined Infy ... this was bound to happend ;-)
and mind you, if you go to a smaller company now this won't end, i mean then you will look at something which smaller companies can't provide ...

Ultimately you should know what you want, your priorities, and then select the mainhole which sucks the least

Sameer Jamal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Varun I did not joined infosys after consulting with my friends and colleagues because I was offered for the support functions not in the development. I think I have made the right decision.

I agree with manish that if you are not satisfied with what you are doing between your job hours then it is not going to help in long terms.

Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I agree with manish that if you are not satisfied with what you are doing between your job hours then it is not going to help in long terms.

I too agree with this

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I might be little late in entering this thread, but ..as an ex-Infosys employee + exp with 3other companies --- heres my 2cents

Anyone just graduating from college shud get these facts clear :
If you enter a biggie co like Infosys, it is envitable that you'll have your share of 'chore' work (aka 'maintenance'). However, what you should remember is that in these organisations, there are always opportunities for doing some good work.

On the other hand, in smaller companies, just as it is possible to get very good work, it is equally (rather more) probable to be stuck in projects involving outdated technologies, projects being executed very inefficiently.

Counting the other advantages natural to big companies - better processes etc, I'd say that spending a year or two in a big organization is definitely worth it.

-M

Varun I did not joined infosys after consulting with my friends and colleagues because I was offered for the support functions not in the development. I think I have made the right decision.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A few things to think about in choosing betrween large and small companies (I've done both):

1. In a large company, there is always room for a good person to move up. In a small company, you must wait for someone to leave.

2. In a large company, software decisions critical to your career are made by the architecture group and senior manageent. In a small company, you can generally put in the latest and greatest software if it doesn't cost too much and you are willing to put in the extra time to install/convert.

3. In a large company, you can learn from the top technical people. In a small company, you are one of the top technical people. What is your learning style?

4. A small company is like a family. If you like your colleagues, you'll be happy. A large company has a culture. You'll work in different groups but the culture will always be there, for good or bad.

5. Above all, get a job! It's hard to predict how well you'll like a company until you're there, and any job will give you valuable experience.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mike Gershman:

2. In a large company, software decisions critical to your career are made by the architecture group and senior manageent. In a small company, you can generally put in the latest and greatest software if it doesn't cost too much and you are willing to put in the extra time to install/convert.

This is not always true (in fact I've found it to be rarely true). In small companies, as you do good work, you can often take on more responsibility; the job boundaries are not formalized. Sure, maybe you don't get a new title, but you can get the work, responsibility, and raise. I've never worked because of my title.

--Mark

Mike Gershman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mark:

I think you were actually disagreeing with my point 1:

1. In a large company, there is always room for a good person to move up. In a small company, you must wait for someone to leave.

While you can take on more technical responsibility in any company, it's harder to move up the hierarchy in a small shop because, if your boss is in final placement, there are often no other slots at his/her level. This is based on my experience and is not universal.
[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Mike Gershman ]

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You're right, I misquoted.

But you need to be clear on what advancement means...

The may be only one architect (already hired), but if you show promise, they may be willing to let you architect smaller systems, or even work in tandem.

They may be one project manager, but if you show promise, s/he might be willing to let you help out and grow under their guidance.

There may be no expert on JavaServerFaces because they don't think they need it. You can learn it, and show them why it's useful, and become the company guru.

All of the above are harder at big companies.

--Mark

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. -Euripides A foolish tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic