• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Scriptless JSP Pages: The Power of the Map

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Our own Bear Bibeault has written a rootin' tootin' article entitled
Scriptless JSP Pages: The Power of the Map in the August, 2005 issue of the JavaRanch Journal. Check out the article, then come back and jaw a spell about it right here!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Very nice article. My group has been struggling through the very same issues though we've been slowly improving. Very nice solutions to common issues.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great Article...I was trying to find way to put functions in tags....

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Excellent article Bear. I hit upon it at just the right moment. We are in process of designing our system, and your points will definitely help me. EL is something new to me, so I will be looking that up too.
Thanks.

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Very nice article Bear.

However, I will assert that the utility of creating a "form abstraction" as described here is more far-reaching than this example. Imagine that such a class was extended to be able to fetch its known parameters given a request instance, could convert the parameter values from strings to integers, dates or other non-string types as appropriate, and perhaps even perform simple, context-free validations on its elements. This would be a powerful abstraction that not only collects the form elements into a cohesive entity, but decouples the concepts of the "form" from the servlets (or other items) that reference it.

The utility of such an abstraction might not seem evident when thinking of our simple login form that possesses two simple string fields. But imagine a more complex form; say, the myriad fields of various types that go into selling an item on eBay�. Collecting all this information into an abstracted instance could significantly simplify the code that needs to deal with it.

Can I assume this is the subject for your next article?? Hmmm?

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic