• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Scope of jsp:useBean

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello sir,madam

<%@ page import="businessData.visitorAddresses.*"%>

<%{%>

<jsp:useBean id="abc" class="businessData.visitorAddresses.AddressBean" scope="session">
<jsp:setProperty name="abc" property="name" value="Ram"/>
<jsp:setProperty name="abc" property="city" value="Pune"/>
<jsp:setProperty name="abc" property="state" value="MH"/>
</jsp:useBean>

<%}%>

<jsp:useBean id="abc" class="businessData.visitorAddresses.AddressBean" scope="page"/>

<jsp:getProperty name="abc" property="name"/>  <b> : </b>
<jsp:getProperty name="abc" property="city"/>  <b> : </b>
<jsp:getProperty name="abc" property="state"/>

In Tomcat I get the following error
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /useBean.jsp(13,0) jsp.error.useBean.duplicate

Now even if I declare the useBean in a local block still I dont understand how it gives me error if I again write the useBean tag with same id attribute ? As the scope of id attribute is over as soon as the local block is closed.

Is this the bug in Tomcat ?

Waiting for your reply/suggestions

Sheriff
Firefox Browser VI Editor Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I believe the main intent of useBean, as well as EL and JSTL, is to provide a higher a level abstraction that allows JSP developers to move from scriptlets to scriptless JSPs.

In this and the two other threads that you started today, you're using the useBean tag but also mixing in scriptlet code that undermines or clashes with what useBean is trying to do, and then asking if the problem is a bug in Tomcat.

If you want to implement lower level Java coding in your JSPs, why not forgo the useBean tag altogether and go with 100% scriptlet code?

Better yet, move all of your complicated Java code into servlets and beans.
Then use let the JSPs handle nothing but the simple view tasks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
you cant create 2 instance of the class with th same name

because the object is created in the server so only one instance of the class is allowed .

you can create 2 intance of the class with different name

Rohit Bhagwat
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ben Souther:
I believe the main intent of useBean, as well as EL and JSTL, is to provide a higher a level abstraction that allows JSP developers to move from scriptlets to scriptless JSPs.

In this and the two other threads that you started today, you're using the useBean tag but also mixing in scriptlet code that undermines or clashes with what useBean is trying to do, and then asking if the problem is a bug in Tomcat.

If you want to implement lower level Java coding in your JSPs, why not forgo the useBean tag altogether and go with 100% scriptlet code?

Better yet, move all of your complicated Java code into servlets and beans.
Then use let the JSPs handle nothing but the simple view tasks.

I am not doing anything special. I am just trying out the example given out by jsp specification. And I guess this a geniune doubt. You can visit the specification link which you have.They have given the similar example and said that this is allowed and valid. The same I tried out in tomcat and it didnt worked.I guess there is no point in getting angry !!
And ofcourse this just tests how much thorough we are with the useBean tag.
[ November 25, 2005: Message edited by: Rohit Bhagwat ]

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Straight from the JSP Specification (section JSP.5.1):

Duplicate id�s found in the same translation unit shall result in a fatal translation error.

So regardless of what weird scoping contortions you place in the page, it is illegal to use the same id for more than one useBean action.

Ben Souther
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rohit Bhagwat:

I am not doing anything special.

No but, as I mentioned, in every case you are using useBean and then adding scriptlet code that clashses with what useBean is trying to do.

I am just trying out the example given out by jsp specification. And I guess this a geniune doubt. You can visit the specification link which you have.
They have given the similar example and said that this is allowed and valid.
The same I tried out in tomcat and it didnt worked.

To which example are you refering?

I guess there is no point in getting angry !!

Certainly not. We're talking about JSP code, not life and death.

And ofcourse this just tests how much thorough we are with the useBean tag.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I've used the useBean tag a lot over the years and never had a problem with it. In my case I'm always using it once, at the top of the page, for each bean. Whenever I refer to a class with either the type or the class attribute, I fully qualify it.
My pages also don't have any scriptlet code.

Out of curiosity, are these real world cases or are you just pushing useBean to see how robust it is?

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just as a helpful hint for future posts: claiming that you've found a bug in Tomcat every time you come across something you do not understand is a good way to get yourself onto people's "ignore list". This is known as "crying wolf" and impairs your credibility.
[ November 26, 2005: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]

Rohit Bhagwat
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bear. I appologize for using the word "Tomcat bug". Henceforth I will take care that I dont use such words.

Originally posted by Bear Bibeault:
Straight from the JSP Specification (section JSP.5.1):
Duplicate id�s found in the same translation unit shall result in a fatal translation error.
So regardless of what weird scoping contortions you place in the page, it is illegal to use the same id for more than one useBean action.

I agree with everyone that duplicate id�s found in the same translation unit shall result in a fatal translation error. This is the rule of jsp however dont you think that this violates the basic fundamentals of java that the life of a variable is limited to the scope/block in which it is declared ?.

Also Ben if you refer to page no 1-101 in the Part I-Standard Actions-JSP.5.1<jsp:useBean> section of specification.pdf file. Then it also demonstrates the same issue which I am talking. Or else following is the code straight from the specification
<% { // introduce a new block %>
<jsp:useBean id=�customer� class=�com.myco.Customer� />
<%
/*
* the tag above creates or obtains the Customer Bean
* reference, associates it with the name �customer� in the
* PageContext, and declares a Java programming language
* variable of the same name initialized to the object reference
* in this block�s scope.
*/
%>
<%= customer.getName(); %>
<% } // close the block %>
<%
// the variable customer is out of scope now but
// the object is still valid (and accessible via pageContext)
%>
Now since the variable is now out of scope cant I again redeclare the variable ? So was just again trying to use the useBean tag.
Although this may not be used in practical life , or you can say it is a bad practice but my question is whether this is valid or invalid rather than good or bad practices.What I mean to say by valid or invalid is -specification says that id attribute of useBean tag declared in a block (as above) is only visible to that block and not outside the block directly.

This is my last post for this topic and I wont do any posts on this topic further as I guess people have started hateing me.
[ November 26, 2005: Message edited by: Rohit Bhagwat ]

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear. I appologize for using the word "Tomcat bug". Henceforth I will take care that I dont use such words.

You miss the point of my post. My point is that if you overuse such a claim, it loses its impact.

This is the rule of jsp however dont you think that this violates the basic fundamentals of java that the life of a variable is limited to the scope/block in which it is declared ?.

You can't really compare scoped variables in a JSP with variables in Java. They aren't the same concept and they have very different rules.

This is my last post for this topic and I wont do any posts on this topic further as I guess people have started hateing me.

Where on earth are you getting that idea? Our suggestions are to try and help you. As Ben pointed out, it's only Java and JSP -- hardly a life or death subject!
[ November 26, 2005: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]

Ben Souther
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

<%
// the variable customer is out of scope now but
// the object is still valid (and accessible via pageContext)
%>

Look at the line just under the the one that you highlighted with bold tags.
"The object is still valid (and accessible via pageContext)."

This is certainly different from typical Java behavior.
It shouldn't be surprising that an attempt to use the same ID in another useBean tag will cause an error.

Again, are these real world examples?
Are you trying to do something that's not working because useBean isn't doing what you would expect? If so, there may be other approaches that will result in clearer, more robust code.

On the "Is this a bug issue".
One nice thing about Tomcat (or any very popular open source project) is that tens of thousands of people are using it. In this environment, bugs tend to show up fast. If you think you may have discovered one, it's easy to search their bug database to see if someone else has already reported it.

This one shows the open bugs.
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=Tomcat+5&content=

If I were looking to see if an issue I was having was a bug, I would also add "Invalid" and "Won't Fix" to the status choices. You may find out that someone else had a similar problem, reached the same conclusion that you did, but found out after entering the bug that the problem was in their code. This would be very helpful information.

If nobody else has reported it, I would take a long hard look at what I was trying to do to determine if the problem is with my code. This would include a thorough reading of the specs.

After doing all of that, I would inquire on the product's user list (if they have one). If nobody there, can tell me what I'm doing wrong or explain the behavior that I'm seeing, then I would submit the bug to the developers of that product.

Warning: The guys on the committer's list at Tomcat are very sharp and knowledgeable people but they are not known for their patience.
They can be down right "un ranch like" at times.
You'll need to have thick skin if you are going to enter that realm.
[ November 26, 2005: Message edited by: Ben Souther ]

Ranch Hand
Mac IntelliJ IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Come on Rohit, ease up!
No one is hating you...they are just trying to help.

Bear and Ben both have been 'extremely' helpful to everyone on this forum. In fact it is a wonder how they spare time to post so much, may be there is several of them posting under those names

We're being followed by intergalactic spies! Quick! Take this tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic