• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SUN or MS??

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I am from INDIA, Kolkata, Saltlake (IT Sector) and working in JAVA Swing in a company and my dream is to shift myself to Web Application ...

Buttt.... whereever I am seeing most of the sites are build by either .aspx/.asp/php ... fewer are by .jsp

Whyyyy?? and here most of the opening are in .Net .. whyyy ??

I am dreaming to be a J2EE professional .. what I should I do now .. I love JAVA .. I dont want to leave this technology ..

Please suggest

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are a lof of websites that use some sort of framework that doesn't show the .jsp extension (I would think probably most of them actually). So only looking at the extension of the url isn't a correct way of determining whether the website uses java or not.

Java has been around for a lot more years than .net. But there isn't anything that makes .net more modern than java. Also, there are a lot more software libraries and frameworks around that you can choose from (and a lot of them are open source and you can use them for free). The reason why .net is popular is, I think, that it comes with a tool (Visual Studio) that makes it easy to create a simple website really fast. But if you use it that way, the quality of your work will be very low, and if there is something wrong with it, you won't be able to fix it because you haven't got a clue what you have done. To build a decent website the amount of work in java or in .net is about the same.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are a Swing developer you should look at Wicket Awesome web framework.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi,

If you want to become web developer then you can try an emergin Open Source Technology "Ruby on Rails", which is gaining awsome popularity now a days.
Even "Ruby" declared TIOBE's Programming Language of 2006!
You can check it here:- http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

Cheers,
Pras

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The .jsp extension can be a bit of a misnomer. I have worked on many a website where you wouldn't know that it was powered by Java just by looking at the URL.

Plus, often the .jsp extension is hidden, such as with Struts applications where the extension is .do

Actually, in Struts, the extension can be anything. I've worked on projects where the struts extension was actually .html, so everyone coming in thought the site was just served up by a web server.

Some clients have scary requests.

From the number of banks, insurance agencies, government offices and banks that I have worked for, I can tell you that Java is well represented.

-Cameron McKenzie
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic