• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

discouraged...some advise

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
preface : I recenly went back to college part time and switched over from civil eng to comp sci for a number of reason ranging from money to a challenging major to convenience of schedule of classes(night) and my current job.

Now I am 2 semesters away from completing my degree and am becoming pretty discouraged when I read through these boards about the diminishing number of jobs out there for programmers. I think what topped it off, I forget his name, but it was a guy that interned for MS and Sun and only had two offers for 40k in 18months until he finally got an offer for 65k.

Stories like this really perplex me. I recently bought a house and my wife and I had a little baby girl and my priorities got all scrambled and reorganized where job security is on the tops of my list, as opposed to salary being on top, prior to her birth.

I see so many people posting with such high qualifications, ranging from masters degress, to numerous certifications and are still jobless.

I am currently working and make 'decent' money, but it is not a place where i want to stay for a variety of reasons. However i feel that my B.S. in comp sci come next december will not offer my any oppurtunity to progress in my career in the IT/prog field.

I have considered going into different fields, however i have already changed my major 3 times and cant afford, timewise, to change it again.

Can anyone offer any encouraging words to someone with an uncertain future. I cant be the only undergrad feeling this way, so maybe any advise, words, whathaveyou anyone with experience can offer might shed some light in our soon to be futures.

thanks,

Jim

[ January 30, 2005: Message edited by: jim gotti ]
[ January 30, 2005: Message edited by: jim gotti ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations on your new baby!

The best approach to a secure IT career in the US lies in jobs like Business Analyst, Project Manager, User Liason, and Sales that can't be done by exploited Asians because of language and cultural barriers. These jobs can lead into supervisory and management slots with decent wages.

Seriously pursue networking through your existing company, your school (career center and professors), and your friends and relatives to line up a job now. This will take time and effort. US entry level IT jobs are so scarce that they are basically bestowed as favors.

I like to compare it to parking your car on the street in midtown Manhattan. It is done every day but you have to be both lucky and persistent.

Start networking now. You have a family to support.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic