• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

select for update --> OCI8 driver

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Suse
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
can anyone give me some insight on this(second hand info, so it may be vague):
We have written an java program that accesses an Oracle DB using the thin drivers. We now have to move our program (that used to be limited to our network) to remote locations. To do this we needed to switch to the OCI8 drivers to deal with the firewall/security issues. After changing the drivers to OCI, our program started locking up for no apparent explainable reason. At the time, we were testing within the network. The procedure that seems to be locking it is "select...for update". No Exceptions are thrown, it just locks. Our DBA verified that the record was NOT locked at the time of hanging(so it wasn't waiting for a lock to be released).
some hypothesis to help me investigate this matter would be helpful. The more details I get, I'll relay them to you.
Thanks,
Jamie

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If it was waiting for a lock to be set, I believe there is a parameter in Oracle which sets the amount of time to wait for a lock before failing.
Dan

Jamie Robertson
Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Suse
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
we have just solved the problem. We were using an older driver version of classes12.zip for the OCI driver. Once we updated it to a newer version, everything worked fine.
Thanks for the reply Dan,
Jamie
I hate incompatiblility errors! I have been looking at the code for 2 days now! Oh well, at least I will sleep well this weekend!

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic