• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Lotus Notes DB

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am trying to query some data out of a Lotus Notes DB and no I do not know the layout and trying to the person that created it in my company is a joke. So my question for one is how come when I see that the field name is say "FirstName" and I type that in rec.getString("FirstName") i get a response that says that the name is not valid. Does anyone have any help on Lotus Notes Database use?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I did some preliminary work on the feasibility of using Domino Server as a database and configuring it with weblogic. It has been a long time though and I have forgotten a lot of things... However, here are my findings(those what I remember....)
1. Lotus notes is not a RDBMS. Thus it doesn't have tables. However if you use a JDBC driver then the views defined in the database translates to RDBMS tables.
2. JDBC for Lotus Notes is quite non-standard since lotus notes data does not map easily to RDBMS structure.
3. A better approach is to use the APis provided with the Java-Corba Toolkit to interface with Lotus notes.
4. However, the above approach has lots of configuration issues. It provides you with lots of jar files(NCSO.jar NCSOW.jar and notes.jar) If it is a standalone java application then the problems are minimal. But, when I tried weblogic, I got lots of meaningless exceptions... ultimately solved the problem but I don't remember the configurations off hand
5. I have heard that it integrates seamlessly with websphere using NCSOW.jar
6. In my experience it is not very scalable(with WebLogic). Some connections abort with exceptions when many try to connect together.
7. The best option (IMHO) is to use C apis to connect and then use JNI wrappers over these.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The corba is very slow. Perhaps its more intelligent to use the Domino-Object Model classes.
You do have a programmer reference in your R5 or R4 client.

Axel

Shubhrajit Chatterjee
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Axel Janssen:
The corba is very slow. Perhaps its more intelligent to use the Domino-Object Model classes.
You do have a programmer reference in your R5 or R4 client.

Axel

I agree.... CORBA is very slow in making the connection... I think after the connection is ready it seems to be quite OK. Perhaps if you use CORBA then it would be a good idea to pool the connections

Axel Janssen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Shubhrajit,
...there are also lots of opportunities to integrate with a rdbms in a way where you push the data from notes --> rdbms (LSX classes, JDBC, DECS task) in a I think mostly sheduled way.
In Rnext (which will be released in the second half of this year or later) there will be WebSphere integrated (in the current beta they integrated Tomcat).
A really good ressource for Lotus-Domino is www.notes.net (good discussion forums (they call it gold release. dont ask why), free code in Iris Sandbox, etc.)
Axel
[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: Axel Janssen ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic