• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

updateRow() throws " ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis"

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I'm trying to use an updateable record set, however whenever I update a row, I get the error " ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis". The query I use to get the record set is fine as I can extract the selected values. I just can't call updateRow(). Has anyone come across this? My code is:

Baffled,
Terry Luedtke

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Very strange message indeed. The error message appears to have nothing to do with (what I think is) the problem. According to Oracles documentation ( http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A97630_01/java.920/a96654/resltset.htm#101813, scroll down to "FOR UPDATE Clause Limitation in an Updatable Result Set"), you can't use a FOR UPDATE clause with an updatable result set. The documentation also lists some other limitations, but I don't think you are violating any of them.
[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Kevin Mukhar ]

Terry Luedtke
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Kevin,
Removing the "For Update" fixed it. I'm learning to take Oracle errors with a grain of salt. When I was working with Perl's DBD library (a wrapper around Oracle's OCI drivers), I got an error stating: "You must install a Solaris patch to run this version of the Java runtime". The real problem was that I'd forgotten to add the Oracle library path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. How that relates to a Java runtime, I have no idea.
Thanks,
Terry

I'd appreciate it if you pronounced my name correctly. Pinhead, with a silent "H". Petite ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic