• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Torque Data framework

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
So I've been thinking a bit lately about mvc. 'v' seems to be covered in jsp/velocity/taglibs

'c' is covered by struts et al. (and yah, struts does a bit of 'v' and 'm' as well).

But what about pure 'm'?

What about a data-abstraction layer of some sort.

I've always thought Torque was a cool-looking framework. I can't say that I've ever tried it though. But perhaps someone more experienced could read the tutorial and/or docs (as I've done) and weigh in with an opinion. Or better yet, a torque user.

http://db.apache.org/torque/

The one aspect of this framework that is a bit cumbersome (among others) is that it can't connect to a database and use metadata to generate classes. You'd have to specify your database metadata separately in the *-schema.xml files. (detailed in Tutorial Step 2 )

One thing I did like though was their idea of peer classes, where if you had 'custom' code, then changes to the database and subsequent regeneration of your classes would not blow away your custom stuff. Peers How-to

I'm not sure about their choice for OR mapping, as put forward here:
O-R Mapping

Though I'm certainly no expert, so maybe this is the best way. But it seemed to me to be sacrificing 'normal form' tables for the ease of Torque authors. (Would i ever be able to use those tables outside of torque? would i *want* to? will my DBA laugh me out of the room?)

Finally.. what makes me want to steer away from frameworks like this is the sort of thing you see at the very bottom of the peers-how-to page linked earlier... The code to produce that 'complex' query seems more complex to me, than just the SQL.

Ok.. I'm not sure if there is really a question in all of that, but I'd like to hear opinions on this framework.
[ April 21, 2003: Message edited by: Mike Curwen ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic