• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Why Your Book?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
There are several JDBC books on the market right now. I have 2 of them. Just not yours, yet.
What seperates your book from the rest of the other books? Why should someone buy your book over all the others?

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The book covers all the JDBC readers from a novice to expert and also the rating given by Thomas Paul makes the book special.
I don't have a JDBC book as yet.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I don't have a JDBC book as yet.

Me too
--------------
Sainudheen

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nice reviews on Amazon! It would make a nice companion to my JDBC Pocket Reference.Oreilly Catalog

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What makes this book stand out for me is that (a) it is authoritative, (b) it contains all information about JDBC you might conceivably need, and not just the bits that some author thought would be useful, and (c) it is one of the very few books that successfully manages to address an audience ranging from beginner(-ish)s to advanced users: wherever you're at, this book is going to be useful. Please be warned though that I am biased.
- Peter
[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Peter den Haan ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually I have ever used the second edition of that book... I borrowed from the university library... The second edition is really good... I even borrowed it from the library for three successive weeks to do a term project in Database System course, when I was in the university...
I hope the third edition would also maintain the goodness of the second and it would even better than the second book...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't have a book on the topic of JDBC yet and would like to win his one!

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by noel angel:

You have come to the right place.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just by looking at the table of contents it looks like Fisher and Bruce covered everything under the JDBC 3.0 spec. My question to them is: What do you think you've either missed out on or could have improved but couldn't due to publishing deadlines?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I do not have any book on JDBC 3.0; What are the new features in JDBC 3.0 or what are the new things introduced in JDBC 3.0 that this book addressed?
Anselm Paulinus

Sainudheen Mydeen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Anselm Paulinus
You can find the new features in JDBC 3.0 here. But I am not sure to what extent it is covered in this book. From various reviews, all I know is, it is a GOOD Book.
-Sainudheen

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Morrison Chang and Anselm Paulinus,
Please use a new Thread to ask your questions. I know we are all patiently waiting for the Authors to visit our forum, but it will be easeier on them if everyone's questions have their own Thread rather than burying them in another question. It will also make them more likely be answered.
Thanks.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by noel angel:

Then you might be interested in knowing that posts such at this one (without any on-topic content) arent eligible for the giveaway. They only add noise to the forum, so I would like to ask you to minimize them. Thanks!

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please note that the posts need to be in this forum, not necessarily in this thread. And, they need to be more than "me, too" or "I want a book" type posts.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter den Haan:
What makes this book stand out for me is that (a) it is authoritative, (b) it contains all information about JDBC you might conceivably need, and not just the bits that some author thought would be useful, and (c) it is one of the very few books that successfully manages to address an audience ranging from beginner(-ish)s to advanced users: wherever you're at, this book is going to be useful. Please be warned though that I am biased.
- Peter
[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Peter den Haan ]

Thanks for the great info on this Peter. Just out of curiosity, what makes you biased to this book?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Morrison Chang:
Just by looking at the table of contents it looks like Fisher and Bruce covered everything under the JDBC 3.0 spec. My question to them is: What do you think you've either missed out on or could have improved but couldn't due to publishing deadlines?

Hi Morrison,
One problem all computer books face is that of being timely and still complete. The third edition covers all of the JDBC 3.0 API thoroughly, but because the JDBC RowSet implementations are still being developed, it could cover only what was current at the time of publication. What is stated gives a good overview of the implementations, I think, but I would have preferred to be able to be more authoritative. On the other hand, the RowSet implementations, though a valuable addition to JDBC technology, are not themselves part of the JDBC 3.0 API.
The main problem I encountered was that of not having JDBC drivers that implement all of the JDBC 3.0 features. This is understandable, especially when the newer features have not been around for very long. However, it makes it difficult to test sample code. As a result, I had to add a note to some sample code stating that it had been compiled but not executed.
Also, I would perhaps have used a few more diagrams if there had been more time, but I don't see that as a big problem. We tried to make explanations clear enough that diagrams weren't really needed.
Cheers,
Maydene Fisher

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The main problem I encountered was that of not having JDBC drivers that implement all of the JDBC 3.0 features
Is this something you point out in the book? Several questions appear in this forum in regards to some part of the JDBC API not working, and a lot of the time, the answer to this question is simply that the Driver does not implement that feature.
Do you by any chance have a list of current JDBC Drivers and Vendors that do support the 3.0 API? That would be handy to have. Especially for someone who is trying to decide on a DB Vendor and wants the 3.0 API features. It does no good to use a DB that doesn't have a Driver that supports those features.

Maydene Fisher
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Sainudheen Mydeen:
Hi Anselm Paulinus
You can find the new features in JDBC 3.0 here. But I am not sure to what extent it is covered in this book. From various reviews, all I know is, it is a GOOD Book.
-Sainudheen

Hi Sainudheen and Anselm,
The third edition covers *all* of the features in the JDBC 3.0 API, including a few not included in the article to which the link takes you.
(For example, the article did not mention the new JDBC data types DATALINK and BOOLEAN.)
Cheers,
Maydene Fisher

Maydene Fisher
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:
The main problem I encountered was that of not having JDBC drivers that implement all of the JDBC 3.0 features
Is this something you point out in the book? Several questions appear in this forum in regards to some part of the JDBC API not working, and a lot of the time, the answer to this question is simply that the Driver does not implement that feature.
Do you by any chance have a list of current JDBC Drivers and Vendors that do support the 3.0 API? That would be handy to have. Especially for someone who is trying to decide on a DB Vendor and wants the 3.0 API features. It does no good to use a DB that doesn't have a Driver that supports those features.

Hi Gregg,
The following takes you to a page where you can get information about JDBC drivers and what they implement:
JDBC Drivers
You are right to advise programmers to check what features their driver implements.
Cheers,
Maydene

Maydene Fisher
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

There are several JDBC books on the market right now. I have 2 of them. Just not yours, yet.
What seperates your book from the rest of the other books? Why should someone buy your book over all the others?

Hi Gregg,
Good question. The book is big, and it costs a lot of money. The answer is that it gives you everything you need in one volume, including JDBC 3.0 features and the latest information about the RowSet implementations. When you have a question about how to use a method or what parameters it takes, this is the book to use. The database programmers I know keep a copy on their desks and refer to it all the time.
You can read descriptions of the book's contents on Amazon.com, so I won't spend much time on that. The book is what its title indicates, a tutorial and reference. There are actually four tutorials aimed at different levels and at different areas of content. From what we have seen and the feedback we have gotten, the reference part is the most complete and accurate you will find anywhere. We worked hard to explain concepts in simple language and to give lots of examples showing how the API is used.
We have been very gratified by reader comments thanking us for making even the most difficult concepts easy to grasp.
We hope you will find "JDBC(tm) API Tutorial and Reference, Third Edition" to be as valuable as others have found it.
--------------------
Maydene Fisher
author, "JDBC(tm) API Tutorial and Reference, Third Edition"

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Maydene Fisher:

Hi Gregg,
Good question. The book is big, and it costs a lot of money. The answer is that it gives you everything you need in one volume, including JDBC 3.0 features and the latest information about the RowSet implementations. When you have a question about how to use a method or what parameters it takes, this is the book to use. The database programmers I know keep a copy on their desks and refer to it all the time.
You can read descriptions of the book's contents on Amazon.com, so I won't spend much time on that. The book is what its title indicates, a tutorial and reference. There are actually four tutorials aimed at different levels and at different areas of content. From what we have seen and the feedback we have gotten, the reference part is the most complete and accurate you will find anywhere. We worked hard to explain concepts in simple language and to give lots of examples showing how the API is used.
We have been very gratified by reader comments thanking us for making even the most difficult concepts easy to grasp.
We hope you will find "JDBC(tm) API Tutorial and Reference, Third Edition" to be as valuable as others have found it.
--------------------
Maydene Fisher
author, "JDBC(tm) API Tutorial and Reference, Third Edition"

Thanks for the info Maydene. That is very helpful. I have only heard good things about your book, so I wasn't too concerned about that.

Peter den Haan
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Just out of curiosity, what makes you biased to this book?

I was one of the tech reviewers.
- Peter

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter den Haan:
I was one of the tech reviewers.
- Peter

Well, then. That would make you biased. I have a feeling though it wouldn't matter that you are were a tech reviewer and this book can stand on it's own.

Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here in Thailand, books from Sun & Addison-Wesley are really expensive... More than any other Java books in the market... Don't know why... That was why I had to borrow the second edition of the book from the university library..... But now the Third Edition is out. I am interested in buying one, but one obstacle is the price of the book...

My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to read a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic