• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

infinite positions for column

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a textfield that is a scrollpane that allows for a description to be entered, this could have an infinite amount of characters. How would I set that up when I create the table to allow for any amount of characters? Or can I do that?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Depends on the Database you are using. MySQL has a TEXT data type. It will probably be what you want to use. There are constraints on any data type in any database. Even if it just comes down to the allowed memory size of the table itself. Here is a list of data types and their storage limitations for MySQL. If you aren't using MySQL let me know and I will try and located info on your DB.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually, Candy, you need to set your requirement a little better. Your requirement should'nt say infinite, because the obviously no-one is gonna type in infinite amount of characters. You should set the description to whatever your database allow, and in your appliaction, check for the number of characters and give the user indication of amount allow.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic