• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Design Dilemma

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am working on a JDBC application, I joined this project after it has been done almost 60%. (the person who designed and worked is gone :-) ) I do not have much experience in designing. :-)
1) We are using Jbuilder 9, we use lot of look up queries (ex: having a picklist on student ID in order to show the student's name) we use similar look up queries over and over in many packages, I think that it would be a wise idea to use a single class which will provide the queries and we can use them whereever we need. for example we use the student name look up in student info class and also in course info class. right now we have lookup query in both stuent and course info class. Am I on the right track? (I know after 60% of the project is done it wouldn't be great idea to change all of the existing classes but in future I would like improve)
2) Same JDBC application, this is new section so I can change the design before I write the code. I need to display the faculty information in panel when user clicks on the faculty, I need to display the student information when user clicks on the student, same for course. So I am thinking I can use the same panel and just set the query differently each time according to what ever the user chooses.
for example:
TblInfo
If User chooses instructor,
TblInfo.close()
TblInfo.SetQuery(to instructor)
TblInfo.open();
TblInfo.refresh();
Will this slow down JDBC application or will I encounter any other problem?
Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Vanitha Sugumaran
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Should I repost this question in JDBC forum?
thanks,

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Moving to JDBC... Thanks for asking!

You learn how to close your eyes and tell yourself "this just isn't really happening to me." Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic