• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

PreparedStatement-2Sql queries

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everybody!
my problem is the following..i have a function so as to register a new User.i would like although first to chech if the username that the user specifies is already taken.the code is as follows:

public int saveUser(User user) throws ServiceException {
PreparedStatement preparedStatement = null;
PreparedStatement preparedStatement2;
int userId = 0;
Connection connection = null;
ResultSet resultSet = null;
ResultSet resultSet2;

try {

connection = dataSource.getConnection();
preparedStatement2 = connection.prepareStatement(SQL_usernameExists);
preparedStatement2.setString(1, user.getUserName());
resultSet2 = preparedStatement.executeQuery();

if (resultSet2 != null) {
userId=-1;
}

else if (resultSet2 == null) { //code for user registration//

what i am trying to do is to have this function returning -1 if this username already exists or registering the new user.but this code doesnt seem to work!it is caught in a ServiceException.
the sql_query i use to check if the username already exists is :
private static final String SQL_usernameExists = "select user_id from account where USERNAME=?";

can anyone help??

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First, you should have a unique-ness constraint in the database so that at the very least, the database never allows 2 users to have the same name. In this way, you could just look for an exception to be thrown although since you expect a problem, its better to try to catch it ahead of time.

Second, usually checking if the user name exists and creating it about broken into multiple steps (not usually the same step) but if it must be the same step then you should use a transaction. There's nothing to stop two users both creating the same user name at the same time if both of the first queries get executed before both of the second. A transaction may (but not always) help to overcome this, which is why as I said earlier, a database constraint is needed.

Third, I'm not off hand sure why your query is failling, but if I had to guess I'd say its because you never get a null result set even when no queries match, you just get an empty one. You should be catching "if !rs.next()" instead. Another tip is that since you don't care about the output of the query (only that there is a match) use "select 1 from ..." since it has the same effect and doesn't transmit any real data.
[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: Scott Selikoff ]

natasa jones
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hello!
i wonder if you could explain what do you mean by saying:

you should have a unique-ness constraint in the database so that at the very least, the database never allows 2 users to have the same name. In this way, you could just look for an exception to be thrown although since you expect a problem, its better to try to catch it ahead of time.

how can i achieve this?by having "username" as key to the table?or is it something else?i dont really know much about these and its a bit confusing!

Scott Selikoff
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, a key or UNIQUE keyword will accomplish this in most databases although it need not be the primary key.

Usernames fall under the category of 'natural keys'. Although it is convenient to make natural keys the primary keys, I generally avoid it and use integers since this allows for better join capabilities to other tables.

natasa jones
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi again!
well i followed your advice and i am catching the SQLException.to do so, i considered that username is the primary key though...
let's hope i wont have join problems!

Scott Selikoff
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Its not that you would have join problems, its that joining might not be as easy or as fast. For example, if you want to track a user throughout the system (user purchase record, user grouping, etc) you would need to put their username in each table throughout the system. This could be a much larger field than an integer in most database systems and be harder to change a username if instead, you had a user id as the primary key and the username as a unique key. Again, though, this is up to you.

I nearly forgot- Natasa p,

You may not have noticed that we have a policy on screen names here at the ranch. It must consist of a first name, a space, and a valid last name.

Unfortunately, your screen name does not seem to conform with this policy. Please take a moment to change it.

Thanks,
Scott

natasa jones
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i have changed it,so the primary key is an integer!
thanks for your answer!

Yeast devil! Back to the oven that baked you! And take this tiny ad too:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic