• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Multiple databases

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Greetings Fellas,
I'm in need of a new architecture for the web server that I host. I'm currently running my application on the standard Tomcat Servlet container and use MySQL as my database. I'd like to create two separate databases that are structured quite different to efficiently handle two separate requests. However, I'd like to access both of these databases on a single Tomcat instance (I'd like to avoid clustering). Could anyone point me in the right direction on how I would go about accomplishing this? I noticed JOTM might be a solution, but it seems a bit of an overkill for what I want to do. I'm looking for a simpler solution, unless yall recommend JOTM. Any help would be appreciated.

-Tyler

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
There is no restriction on accessing multiple databases in a single web application. You don't need JOTM for that.

JOTM is a transaction manager. Will your application have individual transactions that include operations on both databases? If so, JOTM may help manage the transactions.

Tell us more about your application, databases and transactions and we may be able to give you more information.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic