• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Head First SQL - Queries

Ranch Hand
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Lynn,

I have a couple of queries regarding the HFSQL. Happened to read the review about it in the Head First Newsletter. It was great and amazing as usual. Pretty much the same standard of HF series!!

(*) Is it just for plain SQL queries alone? or any other advanced concepts like procedures, triggers etc., are covered to a certain extent atleast?

(*) Does the book cover a bit of database design as well? in the way we can conclude that this book is for just db users or designers/admin!

(*) How about the coverage of schema and system objects?

Thanks in advance!

Ranch Hand
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As far as I know, the book promises to deliver the core concepts of using SQL queries. It also covers an in depth explanation on joins.

The book is mainly intended to strengthen our basic SQL skills. One example to this would be the ALTER table queries that I encountered in chapter 5. I remember using ALTER queries before but most of the time I look to some reference to get the query right. Now after reading that Dataville for Alterations from the book, I'm sure that I'll never forget what ALTERATIONS I can do with my table.

Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
wow.. that's great. Thank you Jothi.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jothi is correct. There's so much you really need to know about just the core concept, SQL, that there isn't room to cover other topics. We take the most important concepts and really go deep with them. That way, when you look at more advanced topics, or topics that are related to SQL, you understand the SQL portion of it, leaving you free to focus on the new information.

It's not easy trying to learn two or three technologies at the same time. I prefer learning one at a time. I feel that leads me to understanding the combination of technologies that much better.

Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Lynn Beighley:

It's not easy trying to learn two or three technologies at the same time. I prefer learning one at a time. I feel that leads me to understanding the combination of technologies that much better.

Well said. So kind of you Lynn.

Thank you!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic