• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

General persistence forum?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I have had a look at the database/persistence related forums in the Saloon, and I have only found two: the one about O-R mappings, and the one about JDBC. However, there is not good place to ask questions about object databases, for instance.

I think having a general "Persistence" forum would not hurt.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think asking such a question in the General (advanced) would be totally ok.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am a little bit confused. The title "Persistence" to me means to save. Not specific or general to say to me Databases. Now Databases says databases to me.

Mark

David Nemeskey
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I suggested persistence because it is broader than databases, and more likely to "deserve" a forum. According to Wikipedia,

In programming, persistence refers specifically to the ability to retain data structures between program executions, such as, for example, an image editing program saving complex selections or a word processor saving undo history.

This is achieved in practice by storing the data in non-volatile storage such as a file system or a relational database or an object database.

I think it may be a big enough topic (may also include serialization). But since I am new around here, and you are the sherrifs, I guess you know better what needs a forum and what not.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's such a broad subject that it's better handled in the specific fora for each individual technology dealing with it.
Else you'd have a forum where 90% of the posts would just end up being moved somewhere else and the rest be posts like "what persistence technology is best" (without of course mentioning a specific scenario because that would almost always make the post more relevant in a more specific forum).

Acetylsalicylic acid is aspirin. This could be handy too:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic