• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

J2EE Framework(s) - Struts

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear JavaCowboys and JavaCowgirls,
A few days ago I started redesigning my first EJB application, after finishing the first, basic version. While implementing this first version, I ran into a few problems I failed to see during the design of this application, mostly due to the lack of experience with EJB's and the J2EE specifications. While gathering information on designing EJB and J2EE applications, I found out about the 'Struts' project.
The 'Struts' project, which is part of the Jakarta project, is an open source framework useful in building web applications with Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages (JSP) technology. Struts encourages application architectures based on the Model-View-Controller (MVC) design paradigm, colloquially known as Model 2 in discussions on various servlet and JSP related mailing lists.
As I looked through the code of the example application and the provided taglibs, I must admit I was quite impressed and wished I had known of this project a bit earlier on, so I could have made use of it. Now that I know of it's existance, I wanted to share it with you and would like to know if anyone here knows of other, similar Frameworks or has had any experience with the 'Struts' framework. Hopefully your information will help me and other readers make better designs and thus better J2EE applications.
Yours sincerely,
Tim Blommerde

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We have used Struts extensively at IBM and with our clients, and we've found it to be extremely useful and easy to use. I've written a quick tutorial on Struts and using it in VisualAge for Java for those who are interested here: http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf/data/document2557?OpenDocument&p=1&BCT=1&Footer=1
Kyle Brown
P.S. We decided to go with struts after evaluating (and then rejecting) a number of other MVC frameworks. Personally, I think it's the best of the breed.
------------------
Kyle Brown,
Author of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere

Tim Blommerde
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The link provided in the above post by Kyle Brown is indeed a very good report on Struts, especially if you use IBM Websphere. It explains clearly the benefits of a framework like Struts, why to use it and how to do just that.
But, after some extensive searching, I also found another framework, called Barracuda. It looks nearly as promising as Struts and I wondered if maybe anyone used Barracuda or if someone has used both and can give me some more details on the differences and which one is better, or are they both as good?
On the above mentioned site I also found a document which compaired Barracuda to Struts. Of course the conclusion was that Barracuda was a bit better, but because the comparison might be biased - it's written by the creators of Barracuda - I wondered if maybe someone who's using Struts (maybe Mr. Brown) could read through it and comment on it. I'm really looking forward to all good advice and comments on these two most promising frameworks.
Your sincerely,
Tim Blommerde
[This message has been edited by Tim Blommerde (edited September 27, 2001).]

Kyle Brown
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Tim Blommerde:
The link provided in the above post by Kyle Brown is indeed a very good report on Struts, especially if you use IBM Websphere. It explains clearly the benefits of a framework like Struts, why to use it and how to do just that.
But, after some extensive searching, I also found another framework, called Barracuda. It looks nearly as promising as Struts and I wondered if maybe anyone used Barracuda or if someone has used both and can give me some more details on the differences and which one is better, or are they both as good?
On the above mentioned site I also found a document which compaired Barracuda to Struts. Of course the conclusion was that Barracuda was a bit better, but because the comparison might be biased - it's written by the creators of Barracuda - I wondered if maybe someone who's using Struts (maybe Mr. Brown) could read through it and comment on it. I'm really looking forward to all good advice and comments on these two most promising frameworks.
Your sincerely,
Tim Blommerde
[This message has been edited by Tim Blommerde (edited September 27, 2001).]

Tim -- actually see here (http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/mail6.html) for a discussion on the struts-user mailing list that gives a critique of that paper from the authors of Struts.

------------------
Kyle Brown,
Author of Enterprise Java (tm) Programming with IBM Websphere

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic