• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Let's discuss a j2ee design pattern problem

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm in charge of a j2ee project. let me introduce it in short:
there's four type of user in this project: guest, common user, handler, administrator. Different type of user have different function list. accordint to this, I designed a structure: Guest and RegisteredUser extends CallCenterUser, and CommonUser, Handler, Administrator extends RegisteredUser. Each of them is a Session Bean. Of course, these Session Beans invokes some other Entity Beans, such as PersonInfoBean, ApplyFormBean, TroubleTypeBean, TableIndexBean and so on.
In the web layer, I created four javabean: Guest, CommonUser, Handler, Administrator. each of them correspond a Session Bean of the same name in EJB layer.
Then I user struts in the web presentation layer to invoke these java beans to create user interface: a call center website.
after I have done half of my work, I found this design is not good, and far from perfect. espeaically in the java bean programming, because some of them have same functions, I have to write them twice or more in each java bean.
the reason why I seperate user type explicitly is each of them has different function list, in short, there's a control to limit their action. but lately I found the control should not be made in the javabean or session bean, but in the jsp pages and struts classes.
so, I'm confused. maybe what I should do is simply write a single session bean to implement all functions and a javabean to pack the session bean. and leave the function control to the web presentatino layer.
I think this problem is a very common problem, and I'm sure most of j2ee developer has encontered it. If you haven't found a solution just like me, let's discuss it. If you have good idea or "perfect" solution. please tell me.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I think in fact you only have one function list, and thus perhaps one "facade" (or Session Bean entry point) into your system. As you stated, the level of control should be handled through other approaches, such as limiting the available functions at the UI, or also through J2EE role-based security.
Kyle

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic