• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

J2EE performance tool (free/to WebLogic Server?)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a performance tool for WebLogic Server 6.1? (Is there a free one?)
I also would like to separate DB process time from App. Server process time for methods called (in a session bean).
Thanks!
Cheers,
Andras

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OptimizeIT from Borland claims to integrate with WebLogic (and a bunch of other big-time appservers). I have no personal experience on using OptimizeIT, but I've understood that there hasn't been too much to complain about. Except for that OptimizeIT takes all CPU/memory available...

sharp shooter, and author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You could always check out The Grinder - an open source performance/load testing tool.
Simon

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You may want to check out the following link http://www.appfluent.com/sqlmon.html The tool only works with Oracle and JDBC pools but it's free and provides quite a bit of information.
Cheers,
Garry

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You've got JMeter from Jakarta Apache open-source projects:
JMETER load tool that is full Java
and opensta Open STA
that is complete and free...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Try a free, fast Java monitoring tool called JAMon. One of the primary reasons the tool was created was to help clients find performance and scalability problems within their J2EE
applications (including EJB'S. One of the more interesting features of the tool is that it correlates performance to the number of
simultaneous site users.

Other features include the ability to monitor production code, and to disable monitoring at runtime. Download JAMon.jar (90K) from the following links:
To see the type of information that JAMon generates look at the following sample
JAMon report:
http://www.jamonapi.com/JAMonAdmin.html

To learn how to use JAMon and download JAMon go to:
http://www.jamonapi.com

Andras Nemeth
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi All,
Thank you for the ideas and recommendations.
I wanted to try JDBInsight (actually, I already configured), but it needs to be registered before one can use (I believe the registration is free.) I asked for registration, but they did not bother to answer. So, what I can say, forget me and I will forget you.
I'm gonna check these other possibilities recommended by you.
Have a nice day!
Cheers,
Ban

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
OptimizeIT from Borland claims to integrate with WebLogic (and a bunch of other big-time appservers). I have no personal experience on using OptimizeIT, but I've understood that there hasn't been too much to complain about. Except for that OptimizeIT takes all CPU/memory available...

We used OptimizeIT several months ago with WebLogic 6.1. Once we figured it out we were able to understand how much time was being spend in the database versus the application code. However it's not magic - it took a half day of grinding through the traces to figure out a way of separating the methods that were DB-related and subtracting them from the total. I think you will find that that is true for most of the profiling products - both commercial and free.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have used OptimizeIt very sucsessfully, I run J2EE applications and watch garbage collection to ensure no memory leaks, as well as watch the number and size of objects being created. One of the most useful features is the CPU utilization, so you can see which method or which line of code is taking the most time in your app. If you don't want to purchase anything right now, you can time stamp log messages and calc an elapsed time for the methods or code blocks you are most concerned with. We do that on my team every performance and tuning cycle.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic