• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

EJB container

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
A good ejb container to start out with? One that doesn't have a high learning curve. I want to focus more on learning ejbs.
JBoss? Websphere?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Thomas Mcfarrow:
A good ejb container to start out with? One that doesn't have a high learning curve. I want to focus more on learning ejbs.
JBoss? Websphere?

hmm... I personally like JBoss (the fact that it's free and open source attracts me even more
). the learning curve is high, i'd say, not much documentation. But as you say, if you want to focus more on learning ejbs JBoss is the choice (no GUI at all. GUI's usually do the things for you,and you don't want that, since you really want to learn ejb's).
I was in the same situation as you couple months ago, now I'm happy with JBoss..
just my $0.02...
cheers

Thomas Mcfarrow
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Learning curve on ejbs? Is it high.
TM
SCJP
SCWCD

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Resin EE
http://www.caucho.com/
http://www.caucho.com/resin-ee/ejb-tut/cmp-intro.xtp
This link has step by step directions and has been ported to JBoss, Resin, Sun's RI and WebLogic
http://www.rickhightower.com/ejbcmpcmrtut.html

Achim from Germany writes: "I read your white papers "Introducing EJB-CMP/CMR" part 1 and part 2.... These papers are the best start for EJB.... Now I'm very interested in part 3 (and 4), but I can't find them on the developerWorks Homepage ..." (They are out and ported to JBoss and WebLogic.)
Pete from North Carolina writes: "I've been working through your "Introducing EJB-CMP/CMR" tutorials. Great stuff. Well presented - simple and straight forward. Really learning a lot. "
Patrick from the U.S.A. writes: "Great Job on part 1 and 2 of your tutorial on CMP/CMR and EJB QL. When will part 3 and 4 be out.? Will it be able to run on JBoss Resin, and Orion." (It is done! Part 3 and 4 works with WebLogic and JBoss. I got the examples working with WebLogic and Peter got them working with JBoss. --Rick)
Chintan writes �...thank you for putting out fabulous quality CMP/CMR tutorial. This is the best tutorial I have ever seen. Complete, concise and clear. (Where is the source?) (The source code is at the bottom of this page.)�
Paul Kavanagh writes "I've just read through your (excellent) CMR tutorial..."
Rahul Pawar writes "Thanks Rick for such a fine tutorial. It was great to learn from your writing. Keep writing so that many of us can benefit from your articles."
Martin Kempkes from Germany writes "thanks for your tutorial on EJB CMP/CMR. I read them all and was able to program my first simple application within a few days. Nice work!"

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic