• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Are Extensions standard?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've been studying some of the JBoss examples. The template example in the quickstart document puts the class files in a ejb-test.jar which contains only class files and ejb-jar.xml, jaws.xml, jboss.xml, jbosscmp-jdbc.xml.
And then there is a second file called web-client.war which contains the class files (again), and the WEB-INF directory with the web.xml file.
Hmm... When I use the deploy_tool in the reference implementation I get a single ear file that contains a war file and a META-INF/application.xml and the war file contains the class file and the WEB.XML file. I thought this was not only standard, but the only way to do it. I'm obviously wrong in the case of JBOSS.
So what is going on? Is the JBoss example non-standard? Or is this just a convention that Andy (the author of the template example) decided not to follow.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Hmmm.
application.xml is standard dd for EAR
web.xml is the standard dd for WEBAPP
ejb-jar.xml is the standard dd for EJB
Other than this, each appserver is free to use additional xml for it's server specific setting.
For example, additional ejb setting in weblogic is defined in
weblogic-ejb-jar.xml
To my knowledge, jboss.xml is defining things like the DataSource resource reference etc.
So, you can say that though J2EE is a standard, the deployment is pretty much server specific.
Have I answer your question?

Cheers.

Han Ming

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic