• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need help prioritizing how to learn J2EE, JSP, EJB, JMS - we are a mainframe shop

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi folks,
Allow me to say, I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death (if so, I didn't find the links during a search on the ranch) so bear with me.
Here's our situation. I have been developing a training plan for our mostly mainframe staff to learn Java (J2SE) leading up to J2EE. I've developed quite a few modules building the base knowledge (many of the basics, classes, inheritance, polymorphism, beginning swing, exception & error handling, beginning threads, etc.) however, I've come to what I feel is sort of a crossroads which I could use your input / guidance on. As I mentioned in my long-winded subject, we need to learn J2EE, JSP, EJB, and JMS. So, I'm not sure how best to utilize everyone's time so that the transition is smooth.
Here are some of my remaining J2SE topics I was going to cover: JDBC, Hashcode, collections, More Swing, Applets, basic patterns, sound & mail, Adv I/O Streams [checksum, filtering, etc.]...so, SHOULD I STILL COVER THESE TOPICS? Should I zap any of them?
What beginning topics should I introduce our beginning users to for J2EE? I don't know about you, but I did NOT like the way the J2SE topics were covered in "The Java Tutorial" and so, I am concerned about their coverage for J2EE. ANY ADVICE? ANY GOTCHAS?
Any help would be most appreciated!
Janet

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Janet Wilson:
Hi folks,
Allow me to say, I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death (if so, I didn't find the links during a search on the ranch) so bear with me.
Here's our situation. I have been developing a training plan for our mostly mainframe staff to learn Java (J2SE) leading up to J2EE. I've developed quite a few modules building the base knowledge (many of the basics, classes, inheritance, polymorphism, beginning swing, exception & error handling, beginning threads, etc.) however, I've come to what I feel is sort of a crossroads which I could use your input / guidance on. As I mentioned in my long-winded subject, we need to learn J2EE, JSP, EJB, and JMS. So, I'm not sure how best to utilize everyone's time so that the transition is smooth.
Here are some of my remaining J2SE topics I was going to cover: JDBC, Hashcode, collections, More Swing, Applets, basic patterns, sound & mail, Adv I/O Streams [checksum, filtering, etc.]...so, SHOULD I STILL COVER THESE TOPICS? Should I zap any of them?
What beginning topics should I introduce our beginning users to for J2EE? I don't know about you, but I did NOT like the way the J2SE topics were covered in "The Java Tutorial" and so, I am concerned about their coverage for J2EE. ANY ADVICE? ANY GOTCHAS?
Any help would be most appreciated!
Janet

IMHO you can skip ALL of the chapters on advanced Swing, Applets, sound and graphics. They'll never use them.

Kyle

Janet Wilson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kyle,
I especially appreciate a response from you since I just took a peek at your book and see that it has garnered some high praises from many.
Kyle and ALL-
Are there any other basics I SHOULD include which I haven't before I dive into J2EE topics (remembering that I am training people who have a clean slate - i.e.-no client/server background [or some might say baggage])?
Thanks! Janet

Kyle Brown
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think you can spend too much time on basic design principles. A REALLY good book is Eric Evans' upcoming book on domain driven design (http://www.domainlanguage.com) and Martin Fowler's Enterprise Application Architectures (http://www.martinfowler.com/isa).
I'd do Eric's fairly early, and maybe wrap up with Martin's stuff.
Kyle

Janet Wilson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your help Kyle. I'll look into these books / websites.
Janet

Montana has cold dark nights. Perfect for the heat from incandescent light. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic