• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

J2EE Professional Projects question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I bought this book for learning J2EE by Pallavi Jain and Shadab Siddiqui. The databases it uses are built with Microsoft SQL Server 2000. The book includes no databases and I am pretty sure there is no learning version of it on the net(please correct me if I am wrong).
I am wondering if I change the database the projects access through Servlets from MS SQL Server 2000 to MySQL or McKoi , given I am new to database access and J2EE and Servlets, am I likely to get hopelessly confused?
If yes, can anyone recommend a book that walks me through building one or more projects that use databases, EJB, JSP and J2EE. I am trying to figure out if I should take this book back and get something more useful.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In J2EE, database access is given by the container though an interface (javax.sql.DataSource) which doesn't change based on the underlying database. In other words, whether you're using MySQL or MSSQL doesn't affect your code (except for possibly some slight changes in the SQL strings). What it affects is how you configure your database connections for the application server (e.g. how does the connection URL look like, what is the JDBC driver class name, etc.).

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic