• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

EJBObject * Serializable

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Good morning!
I have a web-app in VM "X" talking to an EJB container that lives in VM "Y". This web-app currently utilizes VM Y, grabbing references via JNDI, perfoming some business functions, etc. That said, we have a few java classes with member references (in the web-app) to objects (ejbs) residing in VM Y.
My questions is: If I want to serialize one of my classes in VM X containing a reference to an ejb residing in VM Y -- will my ejb have to explicitly implement serializable? And if so -- do I implement the interface in both the remote intfc & bean implementation?
Thanks!
Cory

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Your web app will be talking to a local stub of your remote EJB, not the EJB itself. So the EJB is not passed through RMI-IIOP...
But, in your case, your parameters and return values have to be defined as serializable...
Just my thoughts

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic