• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Hotswap ejbs possible when using ear files?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am considering packaging my web app wars and ejb jars together as one ear file. My question is, if I want to hotswap out a single ejb jar and not have to replace all of the other wars and jars, is that possible? Or will I need to overwrite the entire ear effectively hotswapping all of my ejbs and all of my web apps? Thanks for any info.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When you redeploy an EJB that's part of an enterprise application, the whole application will get redeployed in any case. Besides, if you're using Ant (or something similar), it'll be just as easy to replace the .ear file as it would be to replace the .war or .jar file within an exploded application.

Robert Edmonston
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In production though - wouldn't this be an unnecessary redploy of web apps and ejbs that were not dependent on the ejb or web app I wanted to redeploy? I am just asking because I want to use an ear but my colleagues believe that this limitation in production makes it a bad way of doing things.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic