• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

which architecture/technology to choose? desperate

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
oh I hope someone can help! I'm working with the following constraints
1) time - maybe 1 month to come up with a prototype of a workable solution - maybe a week to a week and a half to suggest the direction to management!!!
2) 1.5 developers to work on this (only me for now and I'm also tech support, q/a, requirements person...etc)
3) not-for-profit org, so open source/free or close to it is best.
Situation:
-Intranet web application.
-Multi-user, HIGH data maintenance. <--A lot of JSP web apps I've seen are mainly to display data or with small, basic amounts of data entry(e.g. placing an order; this application is mainly for data maintenance. Users constantly viewing, adding, editing intricately related data. The session's got to be aware of what the user is doing so it and the user can always be aware of current records etc, e.g. which parent record they're in , which child of a child record they're in, being able to display/edit several levels simultaneously.*oy*
-data housed in one relational DB (Oracle 8.1.7 - moving to latest soon) with pretty complex relationships.
-physical setup: client(web browser)----serverA running tomcat, housing the jsp's, custom tags,datamodule(datamodule uses JBuilder data express)---serverB housing the Oracle db. (If possible, management wants to move away from proprietary JBuilder libraries).
The way the app is built now, it's not as scalable and robust as it needs to be - we are adding more users and complexity to the project all the time as more legacy databases are integrated into the new database.
I have been trying to decide if EJB's are the appropriate choice to make the middle more modular and robust. I keep reading that EJB's are more suitable for large, complex, more distributed architectures and generally not worth the overhead in this situation. Am I under the wrong impression?
I've heard a little about JDO - appropriate here? - I just don't know?!
Should I be concentrating on EJB or JDO or something else that I haven't hit in my research yet?

I desperately need a doable direction to go in - I don't have much time to chase after things that don't come to fruition and evaluate everything I come accross ...alas.. and the amount of info out there to wade through is so daunting (Yes I bought a tome or two)! I would so very much appreciate it if any Learned and Wise Personages (that would be you) could point me in the right direction and/or give me some architectural ideas, pointers, recommendations.
btw, I've never done this before *ack*
Thanks!

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When in a hurry, it often makes no sense trying new technologies -- even if they would be "better" -- because of the inherent overhead of learning. This line of thought would point towards plain servlet-JSP-JDBC combo.
Then again, if you're not worried about having to learn new stuff (and I really don't know which technologies/products you've played with before), I would take a look at Struts as it gives you nice utilities for HTML form handling, input validation, etc.
Regarding persistence, the same thing. Using an object-relational mapping tool might boost your productivity a lot in the long run, but does it cost too much for this project? I don't know. The tools I would look into (if going for an ORM framework instead of plain JDBC) would be Hibernate and TJDO.

Ann Morris
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ok then, thanks very much for the input!

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic