• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How can make .war file for IBM websphere configurable?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, I have a question on packaging installation files on WebSphere.

Initially, I deployed my web application on Tomcat. When it is deployed on WebSphere, I went to the Web application deploying directory (TEST) of Tomcat, and created the TEST.war file by executing "jar cvf TEST.war *" under the TEST directory. However, this war file is not the only file that deployment needs. The web deployment also needs the data directory (containing a zip file etc.) whose location is specified in "web.xml", the deployment descriptor. I get around this problem by putting the data directory with the same path on the server where the WebSphere resides.
However, this data directory must be configurable by user since it must be writable by everybody. How can I make the war file reflects this flexibility?

Besides, the servlet init parameter "classpath" is defined in "web.xml" to point to my Tomcat directory and is used to generate URLClassLoader object. The path to the servlet classes certainly changes while being deployed on WebSphere. I am wondering how it still works under WebSphere.
<init-param>
<param-name>classpath</param-name>
<param-value>
/home/meimei/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24/webapps/TEST/WEB-INF/classes
</param-value>
</init-param>

Thanks in advance for your input.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic