• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Long-running transactions

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everybody! I have written a session bean that performs some sort of polling: Polls a directory to read CSV-formatted files written in there, parse them, and persist their contents to a DB table (by way of an entity bean). Here is what I would like:

(i) I would want to transaction to run forever; I do not want the transaction to time out
(ii) Actually, I do not want to have a transaction at all. Every update to the table should be atomic
(iii) I need some way to execute the session bean after the application gets deployed to the application server (WebSphere in my case).

I anyone could point me to any material that I could consult in order to address the above issues, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Panagiotis Varlagas.

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do I understand you right that you are performing IO from a Session Bean? I hope you are doing it through a JCA adapter.

(i) I would want to transaction to run forever; I do not want the transaction to time out

If the transaction never ends, then how is anything ever committed? Also you can't perform file system operations in a transaction - since the file system is not a transactional resource. There are open source projects out there which offer access to it in a transactional way - you might want to google for such a thing if you need it.

(ii) Actually, I do not want to have a transaction at all. Every update to the table should be atomic

OK. Then don't use a transaction.

(iii) I need some way to execute the session bean after the application gets deployed to the application server (WebSphere in my case).

One of the WebSphere components has start up beans - not the application server itself, I think its Application Server Enterprise. You could use them. There is nothing in the J2EE spec. to have a session bean run at startup. You could write it as an MDB and send a message from a servlet configured to load at startup - then whenever the MDB is deployed, it can do whatever you need done.

Panagiotis Varlagas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Paul! I specified a transaction attribute of NotSupported
for the EJBs in question and this works fine for my needs.

Regarding the question of how to execute the method, I am giving
a shot to an open-source project named Pulsar
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/j2eescheduler/) for my scheduling
needs (which aren't too complicated). This works from within the
development tool (WSAD), i.e. I can start the server just fine, and
the method starts executing; however, it is problematic when I
deploy to an actual application server (WebSphere Application
Server). In particular I get a ClassCastException, as shown in the
stack traces below.

Any help as to how to further investigate this problem would be
greatly appreciated...

===========================================================================

[21/2/2005 16:31:17:657 EET] 5e8bcd4b ExceptionUtil E CNTR0019E:
Non-application exception occurred while processing method "create".
Exception data: com.ibm.ejs.container.CreateFailureException: ; nested exception is:
java.lang.ClassCastException: com.webage.scheduler.EJSRemoteStatelessCubeIqFilePoller_0c4f2a53
at com.webage.scheduler.EJSStatelessCubeIqFilePollerHomeBean_0c4f2a53.create(EJSStatelessCubeIqFilePollerHomeBean_0c4f2a53.java:32)
at com.webage.scheduler.EJSRemoteStatelessCubeIqFilePollerHome_0c4f2a53.create(EJSRemoteStatelessCubeIqFilePollerHome_0c4f2a53.java:35)
at com.webage.scheduler._EJBTaskHome_Stub.create(_EJBTaskHome_Stub.java:230)
at com.webage.scheduler.Engine.addTask(Engine.java:124)
at com.webage.scheduler.Engine.startElement(Engine.java:97)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.webage.scheduler.Engine.reloadConfig(Engine.java:41)
at com.webage.scheduler.Engine.<init>(Engine.java:26)
at com.webage.scheduler.SchedulerServlet.init(SchedulerServlet.java:15)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictServletInstance.doInit(StrictServletInstance.java:82)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet._init(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:147)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.PreInitializedServletState.init(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:270)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet.init(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:113)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstance.init(ServletInstance.java:189)
at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:258)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppServletManager.addServlet(WebAppServletManager.java:870)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppServletManager.loadServlet(WebAppServletManager.java:224)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppServletManager.loadAutoLoadServlets(WebAppServletManager.java:542)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.loadServletManager(WebApp.java:1277)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.init(WebApp.java:283)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebGroup.loadWebApp(WebGroup.java:387)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebGroup.init(WebGroup.java:209)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WebContainer.addWebApplication(WebContainer.java:987)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.WebContainerImpl.install(WebContainerImpl.java:136)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.WebContainerImpl.start(WebContainerImpl.java:356)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.start(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:418)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.fireDeployedObjectStart(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:787)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.start(DeployedModuleImpl.java:354)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.start(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:575)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.startApplication(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:271)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.startApplication(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:488)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java(Compiled Code))
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java(Compiled Code))
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java(Compiled Code))
at com.tivoli.jmx.modelmbean.MMBInvoker.invoke(MMBInvoker.java:46)
at com.tivoli.jmx.modelmbean.MMBInvoker.invokeOperation(MMBInvoker.java:115)
at com.tivoli.jmx.modelmbean.DynamicModelMBeanSupport.invoke(DynamicModelMBeanSupport.java:409)
at javax.management.modelmbean.RequiredModelMBean.invoke(RequiredModelMBean.java:323)
at com.tivoli.jmx.GenericMBeanSupport.invoke(GenericMBeanSupport.java:178)
at com.tivoli.jmx.MBeanAccess.invoke(MBeanAccess.java:113)
at com.tivoli.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:290)
at com.ibm.ws.management.AdminServiceImpl.invoke(AdminServiceImpl.java:659)
at com.ibm.ws.console.core.mbean.MBeanHelper.invoke(MBeanHelper.java:141)
at com.ibm.ws.console.appdeployment.ApplicationDeploymentCollectionAction.perform(ApplicationDeploymentCollectionAction.java:315)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processActionPerform(ActionServlet.java:1791)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1586)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:510)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:760)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictServletInstance.doService(StrictServletInstance.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:313)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java(Inlined Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstance.service(ServletInstance.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ValidServletReferenceState.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletInstanceReference.java(Inlined Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:200)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:119)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.java:276)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.cache.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedInvocation.java:71)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.cache.invocation.CacheableInvocationContext.invoke(CacheableInvocationContext.java:114)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequestProcessor.java:186)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener.java:334)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.http.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:56)
at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:618)
at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:443)
at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java(Compiled Code))
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: com.webage.scheduler.EJSRemoteStatelessCubeIqFilePoller_0c4f2a53
at com.webage.scheduler.EJSStatelessCubeIqFilePollerHomeBean_0c4f2a53.create(EJSStatelessCubeIqFilePollerHomeBean_0c4f2a53.java:22)
... 77 more
[ February 21, 2005: Message edited by: Panagiotis Varlagas ]

Always! Wait. Never. Shut up. Look at this tiny ad.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic