• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Walked out from interview

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Have anybody walked out from interview?

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Everyone have to walk out at some point of time

Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by John Meyers:
Everyone have to walk out at some point of time

I am asking about walked out at half the way.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Chetan,

Yes, I had walked out in the middle of the interview. In one case the guy was just passing time as they had already selected the guy. I come to know this only when the person started asking meaningless question like how much RAM do you have in your computer system, what is color of your bike etc.

I am not sure what specific question you have in mind.

Let me know if you want to know more.

Regards
Naveen

Deepak Bala
Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

how much RAM do you have in your computer system, what is color of your bike etc.

Jeez ! Good that you walked out

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've walked out a few times. Most of the time it's because a recriter mislead me about a role, and as soon as I figure out it's not right, I kindly tell the interviewer that there was a miscommunication and it's not a fit.

I also "walked out" on one by showing the interviewer my annoyance at his bad questions. I could have been more direct and said what I was thinking, "your questions are telling me a lot about you and the company and it's telling me I don't want to be a part of it."

--Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've walked out or interrupted interview if it is telephonic interview when I found the interview is going in wrong direction with BAD or Annoying questions. But most of the time instead of walk out in the middle, I used explain my feelings at the end of interview.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have walked out of one interview because the HR mislead me about the role. The technical discussion went in different direction. So had to stop it there and say good bye.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have walked out of interview once when I saw interviewer was more interested in showing me how much technically strong he is rather than serious about selection process. But before I left interview, I shown him how to ask questions.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have walked out virtually in a telephonic interview but not before I gave the interviewer my piece of mind.

The interviewer unfortunately was junior to me in designation (had more years of experience though) and was asking meaningless questions on how many lines of code / classes have you written so far. Why do you want a managerial role, I have more experience than you and crap.

Poor guy got zapped when I started counter questioning him on what he will achieve by asking these meaningless questions.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rajesh Thakare:
I have walked out of interview once when I saw interviewer was more interested in showing me how much technically strong he is rather than serious about selection process. But before I left interview, I shown him how to ask questions.

Amazing how many interviews I've seen like this. That or the variation of "I'm going to ask questions until I stump you". Dude, are you looking for a new employee or are you just trying to show off how "smart" you are?
[ October 12, 2006: Message edited by: Jason Cox ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'd never burn any bridges, but I have politely stopped things early, especially in phone interviews. A couple of times the position was not as advertised to me and it became very clear quickly, so I asked "Is this more of an admin role?". Answer was "Yes", so I let them know I wasn't interested, this has happened numerous times, recruiters don't seem to filter well most of the time.

The time I end one early that actually fit was the interviewer asking pointless questions like someone said. How many classes in your last project, how many lines of code, how many tables, etc. I couldn't see what he hoped to learn from that, if I designed something with 100 classes but it should have only taken 10 is that good? If I wrote thousands of lines of code when hundreds would have done is that good? You can't judge the answers to these questions without knowing about the project itself.

I'm sure he was unimpressed with me, but I was equally as unimpressed with him. Interviews are bidirectional, especially if you know your skills and experience are up to date.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had an interview with Micron in Utah to become an engineer, and it turned into a strange test of wits. The questions were mostly mind puzzles, and the interviewers (yes, there were a few of them) kept having a difficult time asking questions about "If I had two black hats, one white hat, and..." I found it to be pretty funny when they kept stopping and saying, "Wait, now I'm confused." The whole series of interviews lasted close to three hours. By the end my mind was almost on fire. Maybe I should have walked out, but I got the job in the end, and it worked out okay...for six months anyway.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic