• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

EJB changes need server restart?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Do we need to restart application server if we have to make changes in Session bean?

For some reason, every time I make a change to session or entity bean, I have to deploy entire EAR by uninstalling the current app and then install new EAR.

Otherwise the new changes are not being reflected. Is this common with Websphere app server or am I missing something?

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Some appl servers provide option of changing the bean class on fly others require re deployment.

Mayuri Roi
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Pradip, Thanks for the info. Can you tell me which app servers allow on fly changes for EJBs? Just curios.

I'd really appreciate if any of you can tell me how it should be done in websphere 6.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
after changing a SLSB, you have to run the RMIC and deployment code.. doing such will generate the stubs etc that you need, therefore yes.

one point though, you can Update the application, with the new EAR, you do not have to uninstall and reinstall..

Websphere AS 6 supposedly has dynamic class loading but, use at your own risk..
[ October 21, 2005: Message edited by: david lightman ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by david lightman:
after changing a SLSB, you have to run the RMIC and deployment code.. doing such will generate the stubs etc that you need, therefore yes.

one point though, you can Update the application, with the new EAR, you do not have to uninstall and reinstall..

Websphere AS 6 supposedly has dynamic class loading but, use at your own risk..

[ October 21, 2005: Message edited by: david lightman ]

Thank you for your info,it's very useful to me couse I alse meat with that problem.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I'd really appreciate if any of you can tell me how it should be done in websphere 6.

For WAS6 it completely depends on your server settings.

There are two you should look at. Both, I believe, can be found from double clicking on the server in RAD/WSAD, not from the admin console. One controls deployment method, whether they are run in place or exported as EAR files, the other controls hot deployment whether or not changes made from within the workspace should be immediately reloaded.

Also it depends how you're changing the EAR. Any change to EJB contracts is pretty significant due to RMIC regeneration. Other changes, for example just to a bean file itself, can load much faster. One thing you want to watch is the System.out when you make a change. It should explicitly have "Start/Stop" messags if WAS restarted the EAR.

My personal preference is to ALWAYS restart the server. I do break this rule when the changes are small enough but lets just say WAS6 can screw up at hot deployment. Actually let me go back a step and say WAS6 can screw up just about anywhere, good luck to you.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic