• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tomcat vs. Application Server

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I know this is a very newbie question, but what exactly is the difference between Tomcat and an Application Server like JBoss? I know Tomcat is a servlet container, but it seems that I could pretty much do anything with it. Can someone explain what distinguish one from another?

Thanks

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Everybody has their own definition of what an application server is, but an app server does not necessarily have a built-in web server or servlet engine; e.g. JBoss does not - it relies on either Tomcat or Jetty (and maybe others) for that. In the Java space, calling something an app server usually implies the presence of an EJB container (which JBoss has, but not Tomcat). Also, an app server generally has facilities of running a number of applications separatately and independent of each other; Tomcats only way of separation is the web app, which is not appropriate or applicable for all applications.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Some added terminology that might help as you wade through assorted docs, articles, etc.

There is a difference between a web server and a servlet container, and a difference between a servlet container and a jsp container. Apache, for example, is the first but neither of the last two. Tomcat is all three. These days I'm not sure you could find non-trivial servlet container implementations that weren't also jsp containers, but the open source predecessor to Tomcat (whose name escapes me) was only a servlet container.

Sun's buzzwordisms try to make the distinction between the responsibilities of the entire server process versus well-defined functionalities that are provided by pieces of that server process. Sometimes those pieces are referred to as "containers", sometimes as "services"; the distinction between the two gets quiet blurry, but I think their intention is that services provide required technical functionality to the containers, and the containers leverage/integrate that functionality into higher value-added capabilities to the user/developer. "Containers" tend to have pretty clear object lifecycle maintenance issues (e.g. handling a servlet request, or managing the EJB object lifecycle) that span multiple technology issues, but "services" are each about a particular technology area (e.g. security is handled by JAAS).

The terminology doesn't just apply to web servers versus servlet containers that may or may not be in a web server. A J2EE-compliant application server is expected to be the sum of a number of containers. It is expected to have a servlet/jsp container. It is expected to have one or more EJB containers. The EJB and J2EE specs determine a number of containers and services that are to be present. JBoss isn't required to use Tomcat, but for it to be a J2EE-complaint application server it will always have the option of plugging in some kind of jsp container.
[ March 15, 2006: Message edited by: Reid M. Pinchback ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic