• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

EJB's lack of interest ?

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
It may just be me, but I'm under the impression that people are lacking interest for EJBs. I'm simply watching both SCWCD and SCBCD forums, and SCBCD has only a few post per day. Is it lack of interest, or is it just an false impression ?

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It depends, are you saying the interest in waning from before. I disagree.

Are you saying that there are more Web Applications out there that just use Servlets and JSP, then I agree. But EJBs are still very very important part of Java EE, and my career, and lots of jobs out there. If you are not creating a Web Application, then EJBs are an integral part out there.

Mark

Christophe Verré
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

are you saying the interest in waning from before

Yes that it what I was meaning. But as I said, I'm only saying this by looking at the ranch's certification forums I'm relieved that this was only an impression.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's really tough to tell what the overall interest in EJB is. It seems like opinion varies wildly depending on what crowd you are talking to. Some people seem genuinely enthusiastic about EJB 3 and annotation driven programming, others seem like they are determined not to pay attention to EJB no matter what. I think only time will paint the truest picture. There's just too much flux right now to tell for sure.

Such is this crazy industry of ours. Keeps things interesting I guess .

Christophe Verré
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Keeps things interesting I guess

It sure does, never getting tired of it ! I guess I'll have to get my hands dirty and judge by myself.

Reza Rahman
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I guess I'll have to get my hands dirty and judge by myself.

That's unfortunately often the best way to make the choices that fit you best...

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The primary reasons for you are not seeing a lot of interest in EJB 3 and Java EE 5 those forums are not many vendors are out with their full production versions of implementations. As soon as Java EE 5 compliant containers are out you will see more interests in Java EE 5 technologies.

As we have support for EJB 3 /JPA in our container we see a lot of customers are showing interests to use that in their next version of the app

-Debu

Christophe Verré
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

As soon as Java EE 5 compliant containers are out you will see more interests in Java EE 5 technologies.

With the new version being really different from 2.0, it sounds like container providers have to rebuild the whole thing. Doesn't it sound a bit scary for companies ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Satou kurinosuke:

With the new version being really different from 2.0, it sounds like container providers have to rebuild the whole thing. Doesn't it sound a bit scary for companies ?

2 more things to add:
- not scary, it is expensive for server app providers to build a JEE 5 container
- CIO, CTO take EJB carefully - either remove it or upgrade it to 3.0

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, it is definitely all opinion, including mine, from what I see, but it is because I work for JBoss and we are big with EJB3. . But take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Mark

Debu Panda
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nope the container vendors can leverage against their proven robust infrastructure. They are using the existing EJB containers for Session beans and proven persistence provider for JPA e.g. Hibernate for JBoss, TopLink for Oracle, Kodo for BEA. And others can make use of any open source versions of these e.g. Sun, TmxSoft (and also Spring )using TopLink Essentials, I believe IBM using OpenJPA to build their implementation. So companies should NOT be scared that they are using a completely new rewritten container. But they are getting repackaged versions of proven software that is being used for many years!

blacksmith
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,

Do you know where I can find a list of those
vendors with a JEE 5 container?

Kind regards,

Gian

Reza Rahman
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think Debu provided this in another post. GlassFish, Oracle AS are fully compliant. JBoss AS and WebLogic coming soon. WebSphere is trailing (what a surprise ).
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic