• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

interface with a switch (Nortels DMS 100, soon to be DMS-MTX )

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Suse
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've taken it upon myself to investigate a possible solution to a current limitation for my employer( medium sized telecom company ).
What I want to do:
Connect to a Nortel (PBX?) DMS-MTX switch, throw some switch commands ( commands to add/delete/modify mobile numbers, mobile serial numbers, and mobile features ) at the switch, then disconnect.
Can this be done through JTAPI? Should I be using a different interface?
Actual Problem:
we have are implementing a new customer resource management(CRM) solution for our cell phone division of our company to track our customers. Now, CRM is in charge of tracking customers like any other CRM would. Our particular problem is synchronizing what is on the CRM database with what the customer physically can do on the mobile network with his phone.
example: A customer comes in and buys a cell phone and pays for a plan. That's great, but it doesn't mean anything until we program the switch to accept that mobile phone number, mobile serial number and all the features that he/she has paid for. We'd prefer to do this under the covers, and in real time. Currently, the Customer service reps have a separate session open to the switch and re-key the information in. Of course, everything is free hand, so there are typos, forgotten entries, etc which is causing our CRM to be different than the actual features/services they have access to.
Any help would be appreciated
Jamie

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Define "Connect to a Nortel (PBX?) DMS-MTX switch". telnet? ftp? SSH? http? There are java classes/libraries to do most of those protocols. Is ti a well-known protocol or a proprietary one? Even if it is proprietary, you can probably implement it yourself using Socket.
I don't think you need JTAPI (though I could be wrong)
Brian

Jamie Robertson
Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Suse
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Brian Pipa:
Define "Connect to a Nortel (PBX?) DMS-MTX switch". telnet? ftp? SSH? http? There are java classes/libraries to do most of those protocols. Is ti a well-known protocol or a proprietary one? Even if it is proprietary, you can probably implement it yourself using Socket.
I don't think you need JTAPI (though I could be wrong)
Brian

I'm pretty sure I over-explained it. I was sketchy on the technology/terms at the time of the postings but have since upgraded to greenhorn!! Really, by connect I mean tell it where it is, which port, etc, and then tell it what to do ( throw command line type statements at it that it will understand, which may be proprietary ). I was thinking that there might be a layer of abstraction( aka standard interface ) available to simplify the whole connecting and sending commands process to make it a little more portable and flexible. I'll have a look at creating a socket and move forward from there.
Jamie

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic