• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to maintain uploads folder with dynamic deployment folder?

tumbleweed and gunslinger
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,
Have a very difficult scenario...
We're using SunONE Application Server v7 and when I re-deploy a .ear/.war file, it creates a new, sequentially numbered folder and deploys the new .ear/.war into the new folder.
The problem is I need to provide upload functionality. So far, I have to have our "networking staff" manually create an "uploads" folder with the proper permissions after each deployment of the site.
They won't give me command line access in Production to do this myself.
Also, since I'm uploading files, I need them retained from deployment to deployment.
Previously when I need to do uploads (not in current environment), I had access to the box and simply deployed into the same folder each time leaving the permissions and uploads in tact. I cannot do this using SOASv7 since I'm not given that sort of access. The network guy(s) in charge of the systems are "systems" engineers, not developers and have no idea how to manage or deploy web sites.
So the questions are:
1) Is there a way to force SunONE ASv7 to deploy into same folder each time? I cannot find any answers in the Sun site documentation or their own forums.
2) How are people doing this today using other App Servers? Do they simply deploy into the same folder each time using FTP? I'd really like to stick to .ear or .war if possible.
3) Any other suggestions?
P.S.
Please don't move this to the SunONE App Server forum. I'll not get any answers there. Need expert advice on this one.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I may just not totally understand the problem, but couldn't you just create your uploads folder (in Java) in a place that has nothing to do with your web-app deployment? /uploads in the root of the current drive, for example or use a system property (like maybe user.dir or user.home) to figure out where the uplaods dir is? Then it wouldn't matter where your app is deployed, it will always reference the uploads dir in the same place.
In my upload app I wrote (http://www.filenabber.com/filenabber.html) the upload dir is configurable in the web.xml.
Maybe this helps, maybe not.
brian

David Yutzy
tumbleweed and gunslinger
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmmmm...
Haven't thought of doing that. I'll try it out and let you know...

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic