• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

To throw or not to throw?!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm trying to log on to Crystar Enterprise 10 server:

The getSessionMgr() method throws SDKException which extends AbsstractException which in turn extends java.lang.Object - not Exception, not even Throwable. Obviously I need to put the above statement in a try/catch block, but if I write something like

the compiler is unhappy bacause SDKException is not Throwable and therefore cannot be caught. If I quit the line, it's unhappy again because the method might throw the darned SDKException!

Has anyone seen something like this? How do I solve it?

TIA,
Bojan

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow, that's weird. That API is simply not legal Java.

I think the best tool for dealing with this would be an email client. Write to the vendor of this POS and ask them what's up.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The getSessionMgr() method throws SDKException which extends AbsstractException which in turn extends java.lang.Object - not Exception, not even Throwable.

Can you post the vendor's javadoc for the SDKException class and the getSessionMgr() method? I'd love to see something like that.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
if it doesn't extend Throwable there's no need for a try-catch block (in fact, it'll never get caught at all).

Indeed get in touch with whoever thought this up and slap them with a VERY large trout.

Bojan Knezovic
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For the curious ones:

com.crystaldecisions.sdk.exception
Class SDKException
java.lang.Object
|
+--AbstractException
|
+--com.crystaldecisions.sdk.exception.SDKException

com.crystaldecisions.sdk.framework
Class CrystalEnterprise
java.lang.Object
|
+--com.crystaldecisions.sdk.framework.CrystalEnterprise

static ISessionMgr getSessionMgr()
Returns the singleton ISessionMgr object.

The code in question should be something like this:

I mean there are a few examples out there (not to mention the documentation that comes with tho product) that have the very same syntax that doesn't work in my workshop. I was wondering if there was a "change" in the near past in the JLS or something that made this impossible...?

Duhhh.... back to the search for another product.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
from the JLS (par. 14.17)

The Expression in a throw statement must denote a variable or value of a reference type which is assignable (�5.2) to the type Throwable, or a compile-time error occurs. Moreover, at least one of the following three conditions must be true, or a compile-time error occurs:
The exception is not a checked exception (�11.2)-specifically, one of the following situations is true:
The type of the Expression is the class RuntimeException or a subclass of RuntimeException.
The type of the Expression is the class Error or a subclass of Error.
The throw statement is contained in the try block of a try statement (�14.19) and the type of the Expression is assignable (�5.2) to the type of the parameter of at least one catch clause of the try statement. (In this case we say the thrown value is caught by the try statement.)
The throw statement is contained in a method or constructor declaration and the type of the Expression is assignable (�5.2) to at least one type listed in the throws clause (�8.4.4, �8.8.4) of the declaration.

Chapter 11:

Every exception is represented by an instance of the class Throwable or one of its subclasses; such an object can be used to carry information from the point at which an exception occurs to the handler that catches it. Handlers are established by catch clauses of try statements (�14.19).

A try statement may have catch clauses (also called exception handlers). A catch clause must have exactly one parameter (which is called an exception parameter); the declared type of the exception parameter must be the class Throwable or a subclass of Throwable, or a compile-time error occurs. The scope of the parameter variable is the Block of the catch clause.

As far as I'm aware that has never been different.
If their product throws things that aren't of type Throwable I can only conclude they compile and run on a non-JLS compliant JVM.

John Smith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Class CrystalEnterprise
java.lang.Object
|

Well, in this javadoc, there is no mention of any kind of exception thrown from the getSessionMgr() method. Looks like
some people call it as such, outside of the try-catch block, and without declaring the specifying it in the "throws" clause.

Perhaps SDKException is not really an exception in a JLS sense, but rather a misnamed class that has some "exceptional" purpose?

Bojan Knezovic
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Eugene Kononov:
Class CrystalEnterprise
java.lang.Object
|

Well, in this javadoc, there is no mention of any kind of exception thrown from the getSessionMgr() method. Looks like
some people call it as such, outside of the try-catch block, and without declaring the specifying it in the "throws" clause.

Perhaps SDKException is not really an exception in a JLS sense, but rather a misnamed class that has some "exceptional" purpose?

It ocurred to me too, but the BEA Workshop is very clear:

"ERROR: This expression can throw an exception com.crystaldecisions.sdk.exception.SDKException..."

OTOH, there are examples out there with the same piece of code working... that's why I was wondering if there was a change in the JLS or something. Don't get it really.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

The getSessionMgr() method throws SDKException which extends AbsstractException which in turn extends java.lang.Object - not Exception, not even Throwable.

The basis for your reasoning is incorrect.
You can't declare to throw something that is not a java.lang.Throwable, since a compile-time error will result.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic