• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Private Bytes Increase

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Everyone,
We are currently having an issue where the OS Virtual Memory allocated for java increases. Let me put our Environment.

Server � 4GB Physical RAM / 4 Xeon Processors.
OS � Windows 2003 server.
Application Server � tomcat 5.0.27 (A cluster of three nodes), with ISAPI Redirector 2 with IIS 6.0.
Java - jdk1.5.0
Java options used - -server -Xmx512m -XX:MaxNewSize=256m -Xminf.5 -Xmaxf.8 -XX:NewSize=2m -XX:NewRatio=3 -Xcompactgc -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX arallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xms256m -Xloggc:C:\logs\gc_log.log -XX:+PrintTLE

Now my problem is this, all three nodes start of without any problem and works for a while. Then the Virtual Memory (Private Bytes) on the OS and the Working Set increases as we work, then when the GC runs and the Working Set�s memory reduces, but the Virtual memory keeps on increases, after the VM reaches about 1GB the server hangs up.
What I would like to know is the following,
1.If have set the setting of maximum heap size as 512m, then why is the VM growing up to 1GB?
2.If the working set is reducing, then why is the VM keep on increasing?
3.Is there a setting to clear the VM on the OS?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you - Fred Rogers. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic