• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Cryptography Problem in 1.2

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a process in crontab been called every 30 min, which uses javax.crypto to encode a file content in "DES" algorithm. Everything work fine since 2 YEARS.

Today (after 10h), callings of our shell-invoking process throw an error: "Algorithm DES not available".

The invoker shell calls use Java 1.2 and use jce_1_2_1 as "javax.crypto" package.

After a revision, doing an upgrade to use 1.4.1.7, works fine again.

I�m talking about a server who nobody has access, thus, I can�t imagine how someone perform any changes in this user or environment.

I like to know if anyone still uses Java 1.2 with jce_1_2_1 and have problems like me.

[ July 28, 2005: Message edited by: Juli�n Catino ]

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
javax.crypto wasn't included in the API until JDK 1.4, so one has to install the Java Cryptography Extension with earlier JREs. Obviously someone made a change to your path or your process' invocation which removed the JCE or one if its dependencies from the classpath. If you place the JCE files (jce*.jar, local_policy.jar, sunjce_provider.jar and US_export_policy.jar) in %JAVA_HOME%/jre/lib/ext, the JRE will pick up the JCE automatically and should fix your problem.

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I know that, that�s way my conclusion was use a (previously installed) java 1.4.1.7. I tried first use jre 1.3 with jce_1_2_1, with the same problem.

Before this change, the application was using jce_1_2_1; after check paths, environment, user, etc, I can�t catch what was the change in environment...

Thanks in advice...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This should help you. The certificate included in the package has expired.

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-26-101796-1

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The ceretificate that signed jce1.2.1 ran out recently!

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That�s exactly what happened. Yesterday we have another problem, because another server was rebooted and java services using jce1.2.1 throws the same exception.

Thanks James & Gregg !

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am trying to resovle an issue in my application. We have .properties files have DB passwords, Legacy connection properties encrypted using ibmjce.jar,ibmfw.jar,sunjceprovider.jar will all police files. The symmetric public key created in WSAD5.1 is not working in WSAD5.1.2. for decrypting my data. I could not solve the problem, i created the key again in the new version of WSAD and used, it works fine. Meanwhile i have another requirement that needs some information(password) needs to be stored in the database, encrypted. Please suggest me the best possible approach.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic