• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Object to Jar

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I want to know given object is loaded from which Jar file. How do I achieve this?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Objects aren't loaded from Jars, classes are.

Assuming you meant classes, there is no general API for this. The system ClassLoader does not retain this information.

You could write a custom ClassLoader to retain the information. Or maybe you could get the system property "java.class.path" and search the Jars with your own code (Jars are Zip archives).

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Check out the getResource function in the Classloader.
From that URL you can determine which Jar is coming from.

Peter Chase
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ryan Muster:
Check out the getResource function in the Classloader.
From that URL you can determine which Jar is coming from.

I don't understand what you're suggesting here. Can you give some example code of how this solves the original poster's problem?

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter Chase:

I don't understand what you're suggesting here. Can you give some example code of how this solves the original poster's problem?

On my machine, that prints "jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/Java/jre1.6.0_03/lib/rt.jar!/java/lang/String.class", which tells me that the String class is loaded from C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\lib\rt.jar.

Peter Chase
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK, I understand what you are saying now. I didn't know one could do that. I suspect that it solves the original poster's problem.

However, your solution is not generally applicable to all ClassLoaders. It only works for ClassLoaders that load classes from a resource whose name is the class name plus ".class". Further, it only works for situations where there is an appropriate type of URL to represent the resource; for Jars, there is one (jar:), but there wouldn't be for all ClassLoaders.

There is no requirement at all for all ClassLoaders to load classes via a resource and a URL. A legal and functional ClassLoader can just override findClass(String). There are perfectly good reasons to do so, and I have written ClassLoaders like this. Your suggestion would not work for such ClassLoaders.

P.S. Does the exact code you posted really work? I would have expected the argument to be "java/lang/String.class", not "String.class".
[ November 16, 2007: Message edited by: Peter Chase ]

Rob Spoor
Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter Chase:
OK, I understand what you are saying now. I didn't know one could do that.

P.S. Does the exact code you posted really work? I would have expected the argument to be "java/lang/String.class", not "String.class".

Since I'm not using the ClassLoader's getResource method but that of the class itself, I can use a path relative to where the class file itself is located. Therefore, it finds the class file itself.
Neat huh, using a class file to find itself?

However, your solution is not generally applicable to all ClassLoaders. It only works for ClassLoaders that load classes from a resource whose name is the class name plus ".class". Further, it only works for situations where there is an appropriate type of URL to represent the resource; for Jars, there is one (jar , but there wouldn't be for all ClassLoaders.

There is no requirement at all for all ClassLoaders to load classes via a resource and a URL. A legal and functional ClassLoader can just override findClass(String). There are perfectly good reasons to do so, and I have written ClassLoaders like this. Your suggestion would not work for such ClassLoaders.

I am well aware of that, I have only tested this with the default class loader and URLClassLoader (and only after I made my original post here).

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic