• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JNI + windows mobile + mysaifu JVM (JavaRanch hat to the one that can solve this!)

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I thought about putting this in the "other API" forum, but I think this has enough wacky stuff going on to qualify for "advanced".

Further, I think that this problem is sooooo challenging .... the answer has been soooooooo elusive .... that I'm putting up an embroidered JavaRanch hat - mailed to anywhere in the world, for the first person that can solve this.

In this pic:

You see sheriffs Jim, Marilyn, Jeanne and Ilja. Jeanne is wearing a hat just like the one I'm offering.

Here's the big challenge/problem...

(I'm numbering the bits and bobs to put this whole thing together so that I can compound the points)

147) I have a "windows mobile" handheld contraption. The about screen says "Microsoft Pocket PC version 4.20.0"... later it says "processor: ARM XScale". Another info page says "processor: Intel PXA255(A0)". When I run my app, a libary I'm using (more on that later) sends some info to the console: 'os.name="Windows CE" os.arch="arm"'

201) My tiny app uses serial stuff. I use the serialio library from serialio.com. I have the app running just peachy on windows XP pro. I have purchased the serialio "pro" version that supports all kinds of chips including the ARM stuff.

222) At one point, I would run my tiny app and on the console I got an exception. The root problem behind the exception was that it could not find/load jspWceArm.dll (don't let "jsp" confuse you - this is not "java server pages" but "java serial port"). With other JVM's, the solution would be to put the DLL in the \Windows directory. That didn't work. I tried putting the DLL in all sorts of directories and finally when I put it in "\Program Files\Mysaifu JVM\jre\bin" then I got the message that a problem occurred and an error file was written. I present the contents of that file to you as exibit 222a:

257) The jvm I'm using is mysaifu jvm. It's free! I made a copy of my app that would run on the little contraption that emulated the serial stuff. Everything worked just fine. There are other JVM's available, but my impression is that there is a per-installation charge for them.

301) Most of my work for my current gig has been server stuff. I've done mountains of server stuff for many years, and I REALLY like the idea of this little side project at work, getting a wee app to run on this handheld contraption. I think that if I don't come up with a solution quickly (with a free jvm), then the project will be dropped.

501) I talked to a helpful support guy for the serialio libraries. Dave. Dave says that they have fired up the serialio stuff up with a few different JVM's for this contraption. But never the JVM I'm trying. He says it should work fine. The JVM just isn't loading the DLL right.

I feel like this is one of those things that will be fixed in about 60 seconds once I have the secret code to make everything work.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When executing your code are you able to put switches in for it? For example, if I were running a java app from the command line and it required a DLL of sorts I *might* to something like this:

java -Djava.library.path=/path/to/DLL SomeApp

Note that the /path/to/DLL doesn't include the DLL itself, only the path to where it exists.

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can put that sort of thing in.

Would java.library.path glom onto DDL's?

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I put the DLL in /xxx and then set -Djava.library.path=/xxx --- didn't work.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It seems that JNI is not fully supported yet (http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~dat/java/project/jvm/jni_en.html). In order to use a DLL, wouldn't that be a problem ?

Christophe Verré
Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I looked in his diary to check if there was anything related to your problem. The only thing I found what that he already encountered a "data misalignment" problem when using the ARM version. It was in 2005, so it has been fixed already. (no solution yet, sorry)

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My impression is that a lot of JNI is supported.

Anybody know if there is another free VM I should try?

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do you really *need* serialio library? I had some folks do a handheld app for us. An iPAQ that talked to a Garmin bluetooth GPS unit from Java on WinCE using... new FileInputStream("COM1") !

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
Do you really *need* serialio library? I had some folks do a handheld app for us. An iPAQ that talked to a Garmin bluetooth GPS unit from Java on WinCE using... new FileInputStream("COM1") !

Ooooooo .... I like this idea ... gonna try it later ....

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
(dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit .... )

I tried the new FileInputStream("COM1") approach. It worked great on my desktop, but not on the contraption. I get a FileNotFoundException.

Any other suggestions?

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IT'S WORKING!

All it took was to add a colon: new FileInputStream("COM1:")

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ernest, I owe you one hat!

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great! I love it when a simple solution turns out to be the best.

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Of course when writing the app, the message was "you will only read, never write". And as soon as I have it working "it has to write too!"

So when I try to open a stream to "COM1:" to write when I already have a read open, I get an exception with the message "access is denied".

I thought about doing something where I could try to quickly close the writer and then open the reader, but I cannot help but think I am going to lose stuff doing that.

Any suggestions?

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Should I try to fire up "nio" ?

Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you have access to NIO, then yes. Try something like this:

Using RAF may seem an odd choice, but it's the only way I know to get a FileChannel that can both read and write.
[ March 05, 2008: Message edited by: Mike Simmons ]

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mike,

I'm trying your suggestion on mydesktop.

It seems to work for a bit. On my second write to the serial port, the write() method blocks. Everything stops. Any suggestions.

Mike Simmons
Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not really. I haven't done it myself, I just posted because it seemed like it might give you a working bidirectional connection. I guess you could try using RandomAccessFile rather than FileChannel. I wouldn't use any of the methods that specify an offset. But you'll probably just get the same result.

It might be good to test what happens when you close one stream and open another one. Maybe there's some sort of buffering that will save input that arrives while you're not connected? You can insert a Thread.sleep() to make sure there's a noticeable gap between closing one stream and opening another, and then see if it picks up new input that arrived during the gap.

It seems like there ought to be some way to treat COM1 like a socket, and open a ServerSocket. But maybe I'm dreaming.

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Okay, I tried RandomAccessFile. Exact same problem.

Closing one stream and opening another stream had problems too. Something about how the resource is already in use. I thought about putting a 50 millisecond sleep between them, but then I would lose the data that I need to grab. So that doesn't really work.

Ain't this a stumper!?

Anybody else have any ideas?

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
progress!

Too soon to tell, but ... I made something that will not be a general solution, but will work for this app. Every time I send data, I know what I will receive. So when I read (and the only reads available to me are blocking reads) I read one char at a time. Once I have received everything I expect, I do not read again - because if I read one more char, it would be a blocked read until after I send something. So every time I write, I am not currently in a blocked read state.

My preliminary tests have this working.

Mike Simmons
Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Was it even the write() that was blocking earlier, or was it the read()? A more general solution might be to use separate threads for reading and writing. Unless that's what you were doing, and the blocking read() in one thread interfered with the write() in the other. Is that what was happening?

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
(sigh) I got it working great on my desktop. But it doesn't work on the handheld device. No exceptions or anything - just no data ever comes back. Data did come back before when I was just reading.

Mike, yeah, I had two threads before - one for reading and one for writing.

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Okay, it is now working on both.

The JVM comes with a serial package. It doesn't work according the standard it is trying to support, but if you root through the source code you can find a way to get it to work.

Mike Simmons
Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Okay, it looks like the caps are popular, the Data misalignment may or may not have been fixed, and has zero latch on streams, buffering, synchro or anything so high-level. Win *expects* the processor will do data alignment, that assumption is built into the compiler, as well as their entire camp. Handhelds are generally programmed by compilers that assume the compiler will do the data alignment.

You may have fixed the problem, but I would document your steps while they are fresh in your mind.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Paul: Any chance you've been able to document what you've done to talk via serial? I'm about to embark on a similar task and wouldn't mind a little insight.

Thanks,
kevin

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I don't work at that company anymore, so I don't have the source.

I seem to remember something about how the little serial library that you can find on their page was very basic. I think it included source - and there isn't much. But if you fish through the source, you can kinda get an idea of how somebody must have done just enough to get their own serial stuff working - and then they ran with that.

Bartender
Firefox Browser Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Paul always comes up with innovative and challenging posts, hats off.
I think your status should be trialboss instead of trailboss.

Its because of you each time we come to know of something really unusual,like the everything in one web application stuff, its really great of you.

Thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
try putting the dll at the code base.

You can use system.load(path of the dll) instead of system.loadlibrary()

System.loadlibrary() searches at code base.
[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Pratap Chowdary ]

Ramya Chowdary
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
when you are creating the binary stream, do you ensure that data types are aligned for target CPU.

For example,

VOID SomeFunc(PVOID pvDataBuffer)
{

// The first byte in the buffer is some byte of information
char c = * (PBYTE) pvDataBuffer;

// Increment past the first byte in the buffer
pvDataBuffer = (PVOID)((PBYTE) pvDataBuffer + 1);

// Bytes 2-5 contain a double-word value
DWORD dw = * (DWORD *) pvDataBuffer; // raises exception

}
the above code can generate data misalignment exception on some CPUs

For Windows Machine, calling SetErrorMode(SEM_NOALIGNMENTFAULTEXCEPT) will result in silently correcting misaligned data accesses.

I think on your windows machine with Intel Processor, the data misalignment is corrected by default i.e processor aligning the data. But,On your hand held with ARM processor , It is generating the exception.
[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Pratap Chowdary ]

Ramya Chowdary
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Data is aligned when the memory address of the data modulo of the data's size is 0. For example, a WORD value should always start on an address that is evenly divided by 2, a DWORD value should always start on an address that is evenly divided by 4, and so on.

When the CPU attempts to read a data value that is not properly aligned, the CPU will do one of two things. It will either raise an exception or the CPU will perform multiple, aligned memory accesses to read the full misaligned data value.

Processors are designed in such a way,its not bug.

So,when you are creating or reading the binary stream, the above exception may occur.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic