• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Retrieving a Component from a SplitPane

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am trying to write my first real Swing Application. I have a JFrame with a JMenuBar, JToolBar, and a JSplitPane. I have JToolTips, JMenuItems, ActionListeners, the works.
Now I want one of the action listeners to update a JLabel on a JPanel on the left side of the JSplitPane.
I have found the JSplitPane.getLeftComponent() method but I seem to be at a loss as to how I actually make it work. I can't instantiate a Component, but if I try:

the compiler says that they are incompatible types.
I'm sure this is a simple question, like casting or something, but I am simply stumped.
After I accomplish this, how do I get my JLabel out of the JPanel and update it?
All the books show you how to build this stuff but don't seem to do a very good job telling you how to manipulate it once it's out there!
Thank in advance,

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sounds like you are having fun! I believe that a JPanel extends from a JComponent which also extends from a Component, so you could type cast it:
JPanel left = (JPanel)splitPane.getLeftComponent();
But I see that you want to get a JLabel out of the left pane. Where did you put the JLabel?
If you instaniated it and it is member of you class, you can just acces it that way. I am not sure how to get it otherwise...?
Did you ?
private JLabel label = new JLabel ("text");

or

leftPane.add(new JLabel("text"));
Cardwell

Joel Cochran
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks CC, that did it!
I knew it had to be something simple... I think by the time I wrote the message I was severly brain fried!
As far as the updating, I may have to simply clear the existing JLabel and replace it with a new one. Here is the code used to create the splitPane...

Now that I have retrieved the leftComponent that I would be able to change it's properties? I may not be using the right components yet, just started seriously messing with this stuff on Tuesday.

Joel Cochran
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jus tin case anyone is curious I found a far simpler way to accomplish this.
If I define every component as a private instnace variable, then I never have to worry about retrieving a component from within another component to update it, I need only refer to it directly...

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic