• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

H-1B related query

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Friends,

I have been issued H-1B visa this year.
I have some questions regarding that.

1) How much income tax is imposed on H-1B workers? And does it differ from state to state or it is same across the country?

Any useful link?
Thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Saurabh Pillai:
How much income tax is imposed on H-1B workers? And does it differ from state to state or it is same across the country?

Tax rates for H-1B holders are the same as any other taxpayer, assuming you are a US tax resident. It differs from state to state, since most states levy their own income taxes separate from the US government. Depending on where you work during the year, you may end up filing tax returns to multiple states.

Cheers!

Luke

Saurabh Pillai
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Luke Kolin:
Tax rates for H-1B holders are the same as any other taxpayer, assuming you are a US tax resident. It differs from state to state, since most states levy their own income taxes separate from the US government. Depending on where you work during the year, you may end up filing tax returns to multiple states.

Cheers!

Luke

Hello Luke,

Till now, I was under the impression that H-1B workers need to pay more income tax then an US(citizen) resident.

I will be coming down to somewhere near Lansdale borough or Philadelphia Pennsylvania state. So any idea about the income tax in this state.

I searched on internet but still the picture about the tax is fuzzy.

Any website link would be great?
[ September 12, 2008: Message edited by: Saurabh Pillai ]

Luke Kolin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Saurabh Pillai:
Till now, I was under the impression that H-1B workers need to pay more income tax then an US(citizen) resident.

That is an incorrect assumption. The tax rates are the same - the only difference is that a non-resident has different deductions, but once you are a tax resident (which has almost nothing to do with immigration status) this difference goes away.

I'd search on the IRS web site for Publication 519.

Cheers!

Luke

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic