• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

why (should I) Swing..?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Agreed it has rich visual and keyboarding values..
BUT -
With application deployment over the web becomming so common(even for intranet apps) , why would one invest time (and money) to build Swing based client apps..?
Rama

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

With application deployment over the web becomming so common(even for intranet apps) , why would one invest time (and money) to build Swing based client apps..?

There are many reasons for developing rich client apps vs. web apps. While browsers are currently popular, they are are also very focused and restrictive. Web apps have had 3 distinct advantages over JFC apps: automatic distribution, consistent user interface (albeit dumbed down), and that simple web apps are much easier to build.
However, with JavaWebStart and InstallAnywhere the automatic distribution advantage is pretty much neutralized. JFC apps can produce apps with huge improvements in GUI over web apps. And most web applications which are not basic hyperlinked documents or simple forms, are pretty complex to develop and maintain.
So, when you cut through the myths the end result is that if your application is not basic hypertext documents or simple forms, a JavaWebStart JFC-based app is worth considering. This enables client applications to better distribute processing to client machines, produce truely interactive GUIs, and interact with the growing number of web services available on intranets and the internet.
As an example most of my developer tools (IDEA, JBuilder, Eclipse, NetBeans, DbVisualizer, PureTest, LdapBrowser, Oxygen, ThinkFree Office, etc) are all Java apps running on Windows, Linux, and OSX.
JFC is also being considered for use more and more in applets. My applet experience is that it grows exponentially more difficult to support AWT as more features are added into the applet. It is worth considering using JFC and requiring the user to install the JavaPlugin and latest JDK in many applet deployments, based on richness of applet interface and saved maintenance costs.
My 2 cents,
Vince
SCJP
J2EE Complete, co-author

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For filling out forms of a few pages, HTML works. But try doing bug reporting on Oracle CRM system day in and day out. Thousands of man-hours wasted waiting for and scrolling through HTML pages. The fact is, if you are going to work with a tool on a daily basis, a web interface is not appropriate. And if you want to support drag and drop, or editable trees or tables or sliders, or have your GUI update in response to user data, forget it.
In fact, I can't even resize the window I'm typing on now!
Just one man's opinion, of course.

Quick! Before anybody notices! Cover it up with this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic