• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Where to get Button Icons?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Where can I get free or buy(cheap) buttons icons. I have seen the Java Look and Feel guidelines but it looks like you have to use them exactly as they specify or not at all. They will be used in an application I plan to sell.
Thanks!

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well I don't know about other collections, but I don't think there's much to prevent you from using the Java Look and Feel Graphics Repository. Unless you need to edit the graphics, or plan to use them to disparage Sun.

Sun grants you ("Licensee") a non-exclusive, royalty free, license to use, and redistribute this software graphics artwork, as individual graphics or as a collection, as part of software code or programs that you develop, provided that i) this copyright notice and license accompany the software graphics artwork; and ii) you do not utilize the software graphics artwork in a manner which is disparaging to Sun. Unless enforcement is prohibited by applicable law, you may not modify the graphics, and must use them true to color and unmodified in every way.

It's easy enough to include a copy of the licence in the same directory as you put your images (probably in a jar file). Perhaps your application's "About" page could have a link to the graphics license, to be safe. I don't think there's much more to worry about. Sun wants to promote their look and feel; there's little motivation for them to give people crap about using their graphics which they distribute for precisely this purpose. Of course if you want graphics which are more compatible for a different look & feel, like say Microsoft, you should probably look somewhere else...
(I'm curious to see what repositories may be suggested by others.)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For my latest Java app, I used icons from
http://developer.ximian.com/themes/icons/
and
http://developer.ximian.com/themes/icons/ooo-icons.html
They are GPL and LGPL - they look great in my Java app. You can see some screenshots with the icons here: http://www.filenabber.com/screenshots/maccc
brian

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic