• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

international characters

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
First of all, I'd like to apologize because I know that my question probably has very simple answer and that it has been answered somewhere in this forum. I have found a few posts that deal with it, but somehow the solution still eludes me.

I have a simple Java application that I'm developing with Eclipse and SWT. One of the features in the application is reading data from a text file and displaying it on the label.

Data is not in English and it uses some non-standard characters, for instance "čekić". The application reads this word and writes out "?eki?".
Even if I put in the code itself "label.setText("čekić")" it still displays those darn question marks.

I have tried many things but I simply cannot make it write these characters properly. Can someone PLEASE tell me, like I'm a 5-year old, what exactly do I have to do to display this chars correctly. Please help me people, I'm going nuts here.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mort,
I don't have an answer for you -- sorry
But in case you haven't read it, the following blog may be of help:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/tomwhite/archive/2005/03/counting_charac.html

Good Luck,
Avi.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, would you mind telling me what language that word is in -- and how you pronounce it. (Thanks)
[ April 13, 2005: Message edited by: Avi Abrami ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,

Did you check the font you use ? some "exotic" languages require special fonts to be displayed correctly.

Hope that helps,

Mortimer Mousse
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The word "čekić" is a croatian word meaning "hammer". The first letter is pronounced "ch" as in "change". The last sounds simmilar but is spoken more softly - like the first syllable in a spoken italian word "ciao". The closest pronounciation would be "checkeech" (but not "check-eech", you must say those two parts together with the first part slightly accentutated, like the words "baby" or "happy"). There, todays lesson in Croatian language is over.

As for the soultion I still don't have one and am still asking for help . I have found an interim solution which is breaking every word into characters and inserting a Unicode instead of the actual special character. It works, but is awfully inelegant and cumbersome.
[ April 14, 2005: Message edited by: Mortimer Mousse ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The data in text file must be in unicode format and you must read the string from the file as unicode. Now you can display the string in the label.

If your data is not in unicode format, you can try converting it to unicode or maybe you can find some conversion routines online.

Hope it helps,

- Raja.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

First of all, a couple of hints.

1. When you see the '?' instead of another character that you expect, it means that the encoding system used to read the bytes could not figure out what the bytes should be mapped to. '?' means encoding problem

2. If you see the square box instead of the character you expect, then it usually means that the font you are using to display the characters does not have a representation for the character that you need to display.

As for solutions, I suggest the following:

1. Try setting the label statically with unicode at compile time to see if you can get it to look right. For example

2. When reading in the characters from the file, make sure that you read
the bytes from the file using the correct encoding. For example:

This means that you need to know the encoding of the file. This could be UTF-8, ISO-* or any of the others supported by java and described at: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html

Working with international text is not my favourite part of Java programming. But does get easier once you get over a few hurdles.

Best of luck,

Cheers, Jared.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic