• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Movable JPanel - How?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello :-)

I need to make a JPanel within another ( null layout ) JPanel movable but I don't know how to aproach this.

I want the user to be able to click and hold on the movable JPanel, move the cursor ( with the JPanel following the cursor movements ) and then when the user releases the mouse click, the JPanel stays in place.

I know I can capture the required mouse events on the movable JPanel but I don't know how to get the JPanel to follow the cursor movements.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi D R,
you need a MouseMotionListener and use the mouseDragged function to capture the drage!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can use a JLayeredPane or a glassPane for this. The tutorial has a demonstration app for each on the page 'How to Use Root Panes'. See the JRootPane api for more about glassPanes. At the top of the (api) page there is a link into the tutorial to the root pane page.

For hand–made work an easy way is to mount a non–opaque JPanel over the parent panel with an OverlayLayout and use it for the mouse code. It will, of course, restrict access to the parent panel. But it has the advantage of covering only the parent panel, unlike a glassPane, leaving other ui components in the clear. One way to put this together:

D R Wilkinson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thank you both for your help.

Darren
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic