• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Selection of Panel

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Readers,
In regard to my Chat application, I also wanted to add the feature where the list of users were listed with some info about each user such as his image and name, etc.
I want to give the user the capability of "selecting" a user info such that that particular region changes colour, giving it the impression of being selected.
I have till now tried listing the names of users in a JPanel. Can I attach mouse listeners to a JPanel to detect changes that occur there?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
if I'm reading this right, create a user class that contains all the user's info,
picture/name/location/whateverElse
override the toString() method to return user's name, in the format you want to display it
add each user to a JList (display name from toString() will appear in list)
add a listSelectionListener to the list, on selection (in a separate area) the
user's info is displayed (pic, full name, location, whatever)

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Or you can use a JList with a custom ListCellRenderer. This is what you would do for an interface like iChat's, where a user selection will highlight the name, the icon, and the color-dot icon thing all together.

In addition to SelectionListener, you could also add a MouseListener to detect double-clicks.
[ January 11, 2007: Message edited by: Brian Cole ]

Shyam Prasad Murarka
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Readers,
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I shall read up the Tutorial on ListCellRenderer (no idea how to use it) on Sun right away. Hope its easy.

Shyam Prasad Murarka
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Readers,
I read up a Tutorial on ListCellRenderer. There they showed me how to set an icon to a label and return it as a Component. I wanted to do heavy modification to the JList.
I thought of customizing a JPanel according to my needs and then returning it. But I ran into a problem.
When I simply add some labels to the JPanel and return it, it works.
But, when I try to use the paintComponent(Graphics g) method to draw an image and add a String to the JPanel, the JList just shows up blank.
Can you help me on how to overcome this problem?
[ January 13, 2007: Message edited by: Shyam Prasad Murarka ]

Shyam Prasad Murarka
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Readers,
I have successfully displayed the information that I wanted to with the help of the following code:

UserBox is a class extending from JPanel where I customize it with the paintComponent() method.

The problem is that now the JList has lost the property of being selected. Is there any way that I can again make the JList selectable the default way without too much of custom-code?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic